• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need data -- stock XJs only

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My '86/'88 FSM discusses two different steering box ratios. Newer FSMs only mention one ratio. I'm trying to get a handle on when which ratios were used, and if/when the alternate ratio was phased out.

I would appreciate input from people with stock XJs or MJs regarding how many turns of the steering wheel it takes to go from full lock to full lock (i.e. from hard left to hard right, against the stop on each side.

Data from modified/lifted XJs & MJs will also work, IF your steering stops have not been modified and you run aftermarket rims with reduced backspacing that still allow you to turn to the steering stops w/o the tires rubbing the control arms.

Please include year when replying, and (if you know) whether or not it has the "off-highway" or Up Country package.

TIA

Exactly 3.5 revolutions stop-to-stop, on a 92 with no up-country.

The 92 FSM lists only one ratio for XJ power steering, 14:1, and says the upper adjustment cover bears the code "BH".

1990 stock MJ. Just a tick less than 3.5 full turns from stop to stop. Finally I can help Eagle after all these years of reading and applying his knowledge.

2000 - lifted, but the steering is unmodified (no rubbing at ride height): lock to lock = 3 1/4 turns.

Not sure if late models are any help, but I hope so since my driver's window mechanism decided to break while I was doing this. Now my window won't roll up (power windows).... grrr..... oh well, it's first thing ever to break on this truck. Hope it helps...

So far, it appears the two oldies must have the 17:1 box mentioned in the old FSM, and I guess the others are 14:1.

Still trying to establish when the change took place, or if there was an overlap.

Any other entries ... please?

My 98 is a little less than 3.5 turns, my 84 trail rig is right at 4 full turns. I don't think the stops have been modified on it....

Less than 3 1/2, more like 3 1/4 to 3 1/3

'87 MJ long bed, all stock 15"X7" steel wheels, 225/75-15 tires, no off-road pkg.

So where does the 14:1 ratio come in? Does that mean a 14 degree turn of the steering wheel = a one degree turn of the wheels?

92xjsp said:
So where does the 14:1 ratio come in? Does that mean a 14 degree turn of the steering wheel = a one degree turn of the wheels?
Kinda.

It's the gear ratio within the steering box.
14* steering wheel arc = 1* Pitman arm arc.

Since the Pitman arm doesn't EXACTLY work straight and square with the hub arms (different pivot points, different arm lengths, angled steering bar), the 14:1 doesn't apply to the number of degrees of tire angle.

Actually, 10* of Pitman arm arc = ~ 7* of hub/wheel arc.
Therefore, 90* of Pitman arm travel = ~63* of wheel arc = ~31* R-L of center.
Which is about what you observe if you see a stock XJ with wheels at full-lock.

-Rick

92xjsp said:

Don't know. That's how recirculating ball type steering boxes have always been specified, but I've never known what the reference criterion is. 14:1 is "quicker" than 17:1 (less turn of steering wheel for same amount of turn of the road wheels).

What got me going on this is that I recently removed the worn out steering box from my '88 MJ and put in a used box that came from another MJ. With 31" tires, with the original box I had the tires rubbing the LCAs at about 1-1/4 turns of the steering wheel off center. Put in the "new" box and suddenly I can turn the steering wheel 1-3/4 turns before rubbing.

The new box doesn't have the loosey-goosey slop the old one had when trying to go straight, but it is noticeably slower, and I don't feel like I have good control when driving on the highway.

On the AGR web site, they tout the 17:1 as being safer for highway driving, but IMNSHO that's just plain nuts. If I need to dodge a rabbit, deer or (God forbid) child in the road, I want the steering to react as quickly as possible.

Checked the 87 yesterday while doing the brakes 3 turns from lock to lock.Did this by hand,moving the rotor from lock to lock while son counted.
Wayne

92 Laredo, NOT Up-Country (build sheet claims something called "Rubicon Off-Road Package", but whatever it was, it didn't include skidplates...).

Anyways, I tried this over the weekend and got 3.5-3.75 turns lock to lock.

Rob

Back