• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Speedo question

CustomCab

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question. Driving into work this morning the speedo needle never even moved on my 91. I haven't had time to look at it yet. Does that have a 'sensor' on it for the speedometer, or is it mechanical? Seems kinda odd it just stopped. Thought I'd call and see what a sensor runs??
Thanx, Phil

on my 89, it s mechanical. could be a broken cable behind the dash. the other end of the speedo cable goes into the transfer case which is connected to a gear. could be broken there or the casing that it goes into may have come loose. the casing needs to be clocked in the right location for the speedo to work.

91 should be electriacal......

There is a sensor on the tail of the T/case (assumeing you have a 4x4) and there is a plug that plugs into it. Not sure how to teat them though.

Thanx, I went out and looked. It is electronic both for the speedo and the cruise. The reason I asked was there was a NEW one on Ebay for $10.00, but it turned out to be the wrong one. (#56027015)
My local dealer has one for for "only" $60.00.
It's supposed to be part # 5252438. We'll see. Thanx again, Phil

Sensor specs ?

Meant to ask a while ago............anybody know the electrical specs for the speed sensor ? Thanx, Phil

:confused:

I had the same problem as you on my '92. I ordered the part for $70 dollars from a dealer and had it next day. To change it all you have to do is go to the back of the transfer case, unplug the electrical connector, then loosen the nut holding on the sender. It took less than 5 minutes.

Thanks, I found it later. Checked with several parts stores in town and just about everybody carries that one. Price ranged from $60.00 at the dealer to a low of $42.00 at the Zone. Next time it acts up it outta here. :mad:
Thanx again, Phil

Try spraying the contacts good with some contact cleaner before buying any new parts. My g/f's speedo acted up on a Neon, turns out corrosion built up on the contacts. It's worth a shot, it might be a cheap fix ;) good luck.

Yeah, I didn't mentiom it earlier, but I took mine off and douched it out with contact cleaner then shot some WD40 in it to rinse it out. Seems ok now, but we'll see how it does over time. I wish it was as easy as the neautral safety switch to take apart and clean! :D

Thanx, Phil

Back