• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

x case wants to stay in 4wd

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
the vehicle 91 limited auto trans 242 xcase

When I engage 4wd,Awd or 4low it doesn't want to come out of that and back into 2wd unless I go forward and back, neutral etc. This is a new problem, hasn't done it before.
Is there a linkage adjustment?
What looks like one under the vehicle is quite corroded and I don't think I can get the bolt loose without breaking it (pb is always the first tool I use.)
Can it be adjusted at the lever?
TIA

Asat

I'm afraid that rusty thing down there is really the only real adjustment.

Before going too far, make sure that your tire diameters are well matched. Uneven wear or pressure can be enough to make it behave badly. You may just be due for a tire rotation.

Ditto. Check all of your tire pressures. Mine used to do the same thing. Seems like the 242s takes their time getting in/out of 4wd. Moreso than the 231s that I have had. I would have to rev it up, then back off to make it shift sometimes. Vacuum related, maybe?

You should call that guy in Fremont, he is going to split his t-case again to replace a front bearing. Perhaps you could hook up with him and have a t-case party. How's the fluid? Maybe if it's old it's kinda sticky.
He's trying to sell it but hasn't had much luck, so I guess he's going to have to keep it.

Tom

Yeah, I should tt that guy. If he's going to stock I want his lift stuff. I'll even give him his trackbar back. I guess I'll see about changing the fluid and start with the PB on the adjuster. I guess I'll put a output seal on it while I'm at it. Hey Tom, did that guy in Fremont keep his stock springs? I heard he was having a garage sale!!

Hey, isn't the 242 mechanically shifted? No vacuum stuff??

Back