• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater line routing

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have pictures of the stock routing location for the heater lines that go from the thermostat to the heater core. I have a 92, AT, AC. Sometime in the past those lines have been replaced but they are not in the stock location. Where they are routed now its a PITA to change the oil filter.

Anyone? I can hear the crickets in here.

They should just run from the heater core along the side of the valve cover between the air cond. and the valve cover and into the T-stat housing. If it hangs down by the oil filter, the hose is waaaaaaaaay too long.

The best thing to do is look at an XJ with the open cooling system. If you can not find another XJ to look at then you may need to buy new hoses.

I found on my 88 XJ that the aftermarket hoses were close but not correct. I used them for a couple of years then broke down and purchased new ones from the dealer, so I knew they were the right length and shape.

With the right hoses and a drawing of how to hook up the heater control valve you should have no problems. You can look at this site to see the valve hook-ups http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html

While you are chaning hoses you may want to flush the heater core, follow this and you will have good results. I used hot water and a 5/8 hose to bring the water to the vehicle. If you don't have a laundry sink to hook up to then you could hook the hose to the hot water connector for your clothes washer. Also collect the water in a bucket then you can judge if you have gone from brown to clear. http://www.olypen.com/craigh/heater.htm

I have a 1992, and the hoses run per FSM (OEM) pattern. Here is what mine has:

From nipple on thermostat housing, UPPER HOSE runs along valve cover to UPPER inlet on heater control valve.

LOWER HOSE runs from nipple on water pump to LOWER inlet on heater control valve.

From UPPER OUTLET on heater control valve, hose runs to LOWER nipple on heater core.

From LOWER OUTLET on heater control valve, hose runs to UPPER nipple on heater core.

Back