• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 probs !

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
ok, i have a 231 trans. the stupid thing will not stay in 4lo i even took the linkage rod off and put it in 4lo manually and it still pops out. it will put out decending hills, but when i am climbing hills it seems, aleast so far, to stay in 4lo. anyone else have this problem before in must be something internal, but what?

Is this all stock or has it had stuff added?

SYE
2 low kit
t low kit

anything or is it bone stock?

mark
orgs mfg

moneypitxj said:
ok, i have a 231 trans. the stupid thing will not stay in 4lo i even took the linkage rod off and put it in 4lo manually and it still pops out. it will put out decending hills, but when i am climbing hills it seems, aleast so far, to stay in 4lo. anyone else have this problem before in must be something internal, but what?

Unfortunately, you'll have to remove and disassemble it to diagnose anything. My first guess would be worn out plastic tabs on the shift and/or mode fork.

Like Mark asked, is it stock or have you put other parts into it, and if so, how long ago? You'll still need to tear it down to diagnose the problem.

i have put the aa sye in it. see mine original 231 took a crap on me and this one is out of a junker. so i had it tore apart already but didnt see anything unsual.

moneypitxj said:
i have put the aa sye in it. see mine original 231 took a crap on me and this one is out of a junker. so i had it tore apart already but didnt see anything unsual.

If you have messed with the linkage and can't make it work, then it's time to go back in.

Might be as simple as the shaft wasn't cut down far enough and it isn't going into gear all the way. You'll only have to take the tail housing off to check this.

Might want to check the shift arm guides also. (plastic parts)They can fall off and not even realize it.

Also check to see if the range selector hub is n the right way. (largest hub that the range fork goes in).

HTH

mark
orgs mfg

Ditto on the mode shaft being to long!

It's jacked, time to buy an Atlas.

CRASH

pops out

I have the same problem with it popping out of low range. Just rebuilt it and I thought it went back together fine, we will split the cases and check the range hub position. We replaced the plastic shift fork whatyamacallitz and replaced one shift fork. We were thinking it was the linkage bushings as they have some slop. Thanks for your input!

Mine wasn't popping out of low range, but recently it was real hard to get into low range. I replaced the plastic bushings in the shift linkage and now everything works fine.

With taht Klune V in there I had to custom make all the linkage for the TC, so I replaced all the bushings then and made use to use a silicone not petroleum based lube on them

Back