• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pass. Window Removal

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have some guide or instuction as to how you get the passenger side window out? I have manual windows and need to get that out so I can get the vent window out.

Thanks,
Jamie

You don't have to remove the movable windows to get the vent windows out. Once you've got the bottom bolt and the two top screws out, remove the beltline molding on the door (the one that wipes the window as it goes down), put the window all the way down, and then grasp the vent window and pull it back until the rubber gasket is free of the door frame, then up and out. It brings the forward window track up with it. At the very end, the tab on the track where the bolt went will need to be worked around the corner of the window glass, which is why you had to take the beltline molding off.

Installation is the reverse...etc. Make sure when you put the new one in that the rubber gasket is seated correctly in the door, and that the window is really all the way in.

THat sounds like it's not too tough to do but I is there anything that holds the beltline moulding onto the door (bolts, tabs, etc.)? I was taking a look at it and there's got to be something that I am missing with taking it out.

Thanks,

Jamie

btl_fed_xj said:
THat sounds like it's not too tough to do but I is there anything that holds the beltline moulding onto the door (bolts, tabs, etc.)? I was taking a look at it and there's got to be something that I am missing with taking it out.

Thanks,

Jamie

The trim is pressed down over the edge of the metal of the door, and held by the friction of built-in clips or claws. You need to pull upward to get it off the door. It can be a little tricky to do this without bending the trim, so don't yank too hard all at once.

Thanks for the advice!

I was able to install the new window without any problems thanks to your assistance. I now have that in, a new black dash and the good old tried and true am/fm radio built by Jeep back in my XJ. Hopefully no one will have the urge to steal this one!

Thanks again,

Jamie

Back