• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM fog relay

coach9119

NAXJA Forum User
I've replaced my OEM fogs with Hella 500 driving lights and I didn't use the relay. I've read in the forums here and at JU that the relay is necessary, and I am convinced.

My question is this: In the wiring diagrams (Haynes book) it looks like there is a relay in place already for the stock fogs. Is the existing relay not strong enough for the Hella's? Should I replace it with the one in the kit or just wire around the whole thing and install a seperate switch/relay? I like the idea of not having to re-wire, but if the existing stuff can't handle it, then I'll do it.

I installed a pair of IPF 868's and didn't want to chance any problems with the OEM stuff. Since the switch, relay and wireloom were included with my kit, I just used it. I don't think the OEM can handle the output, since the Hellas and the IPF are both 55W. I could be wrong, but I figured if I paid for a new relay with the kit, might as well use it.

The OEM relays are standard Hella/Bosch units, and are rated for 30A @ 14VDC. When I redid my headlights, I put in relays to save wear on the switch, and I have a single relay feeding both of my low beams (at 100W EACH!) I only split the 140W high beams so I could put my flasher controller on without having to hook it up directly and wind up cooking $40 boxes a couple times each year!

You'd be surprised what you can do with those little Bosch relays, and you can get them anywhere for usually less than $10! I'd not worry about having 110W worth of lighting going thru the OEM relay - that thing will definitely last longer than the bulbs...

5-90

EDIT - FYI, 30A @ 14VDC = 420W. There is also a 40W version that (I believe) fits in the same socket - 40A @ 14VDC = 560W. Always allow a minimum overage of 10%, however, as a safety margin (30A = 360W or so, 40A = 480W or so. That's using the "nominal" 12VDC rating rather than the specified 14VDC per Hella.)

5-90

I used the wiring and relay for my PIAA lights I installed. Works fine and I can use the stock switch.

Curt

Back