• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33X12.50?? Lift??

royta

NAXJA Forum User
I'm officially trying to sell my '90 XJ so I can buy a '97 - '01 XJ. When I first installed the 4.5" lift and 31's on my '90, I thought it was a bit too much. But it definitely grew on me and now I like the idea of 33's. However, the '97 - '01 requires even more trimming than the pre-'97 XJ's to fit 33's.

I'm about as anti fender trimming as as a person could get. However, I have seen pictures of some sharp looking pre-'97 XJ's with custom front and rear bumpers that required the front part of the front and the rear part of the rear fenders to be trimmed. The front part of the '97 - '01 fender is already trimmed isn't it? Anyway, I would be willing to do something like that I guess. I also HATE the look of non-stock fender flares.

What do I need to do to install 33's on an '97 - '01 XJ? Should I limit myself to 33X10.50's with stock (5.25") to 4.75" backspacing? I'd like to try some Goodyear MTR's next time but unfortunately they don't come like that, although BFG MT's do.

FYI - I am able to stuff both the front and rear tires, mounted on my stock wheels, with absolutely no rubbing on the fender flares. There is rubbing on the inner fender well in the back, but there is no damage that can occur from that. I'd like to duplicate this on a '97 - '01 with 33X12.50's (10.50's if I had to) and proper wheel backspacing.

Thoughts, suggestions, lift heights?

First,read my insert!This is my fifth lift(17K miles of hard use and inchitis)and the only combination that didnt rub(except paint-control arms/spring tower) was at 4.5-5" with my 265/75/16"(32x10.5) on my factory alloys(5" BS).Check out my pics,it shows that lift and my new bent fenders.I feel the same way about the factory look and still will resolve this!!!!!!

My pics

Last edited:
Back