• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

im stuck!!

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
omg, now im really pissed. I just get it back from the shop, and they say everything is fine, i pay the bill and go on my merry way. Now im dead at school. The exact same symptoms. No fire. I dont have a way home as of right now (everyone is in class that I know, and mom is at work).... It cost me $230 to fix the thing, and now im back where i started, only im 20 minutes from home, a non-pay telephone, and my tools.
Can anyone help me?
Can I call them (the autoshop) up and tell them to fix it? B/c before I left the shop, the mechanic unhooked it from the diagnostic machine, test drove it, and sent me on my way saying (everything looks great, except for some stuff he said needed to be changed, i.e fuel injectors and a pully)

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do??? Since im at school.
Thanks guys!

I would call the shop and tell them to come get it and fix it this time. Having been in the shop's position before, they should be willing to do that. And give you a ride to wherever you need to be. If they won't stand behind their work then it is time to find a different shop.

good luck

im gonna look up the number now and give em a call. It shouldnt cost me anything more should it? Since it has only been 2 days since the "fixed" it? I dont even think i have driven 30 miles total yet.

It was towed free of charge, and they even gave me a ride home. They called me back and said it was something like "the ignition control module" ???? The ignition coil???
They want $280 to fix it. If it is what I think he is talking about, then hell, i can run up to autozone pick up the piece for $80 bucks and do the 5 minute switch myself.....thats if im thinking of the same thing.
So far, they are standing by their work and have been pretty nice....

update:
Went to the junkyard, got a new ignition control mod., put it in and it cranked right up...
NOW! I have another problem, whenever I accel (speed dont matter) I get pretty bad vibes throughout the car, but its worse in the rear until I hit about 45, then it gets a little better, but never goes away. I still have the low idle rpms as well, btu it is running.
Any ideas? I also don't think they flat towed it to the shop if that matters....

Aren't you in Augusta?

Where is school and where is home? What year? Engine? Etc.?

Yep, augusta.
School : ASU (augusta state Univ)
1990 4x4 4L
Everything was gravy until abou two months ago.....
In park idle it is rougher than it used to be and sits about 5-700 rpms

in D at stop idle it is still below 500 rpms and has a rougher idle than in park.

From a stop and accellerating it seems to hesitate and vibes get worse until about 45 mph then they smooth out just a little. It is worse in the back than the front.

I do have a semi bad alignment, but it has been like than since i got it last OCT. Never gave me problems before.

Like I said before about the flat tow, I was physically there when they towed it, but their wrecker is not a flat bed.......
any more info?

PS - CLEAN YOUR MAIL BOX!!! :) :)

I had a '87 XJ that every-once-in-a-while ran really bad. One day it simply wouldn't start. Dead out.

I eventually determined that the connector where the crank position sensor (CPS) connects to the wiring harness was intermittant. Since I figured this out I've seen this problem in two other XJ's

The CPS is bolted to the back of the I-6 4.0, but of course the wiring harness is attached to the jeep chassis. The motor vibrates when running and this is allowed by the rubber motor mounts. This tends to vibrate the wire between CPS and harness and I think causes the connectors to fail.

Check for the wire at the very back of the I-6. It comes up from below on the driver's side of the back of the I-6. It goes to a 2 pole connector. Wiggle the wires at the back of the connector on the CPS side. See if it your XJ will start.

This is just a shot in the dark of course, but it is easy to try...

Mike

mhead, thanks for the info, but its running now. It was the ICM.
Hawaii : Its a little of both, but 85% I think is the drivetrain in the rear.

oh yeah, after another drive I found that the vibes only seem to happen when pressing the gas, not when coasting.

could it have been from towing?
Ive had it towed 3 times in the last month 1/2. The first two times it was on a flatbed, the third I think on a regular tower (inclined).
After the battery/cables were replaced and it ran for that one day, the vibes WERE NOT there. Afte the 3rd tow and replacing the ICM, I got vibes........

honestly cant say. I would hope so, though. They are mechanics and should know this right??

The place is closed and I have class tomorrow morning, so I cant even talk to them until tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, im still trying to figurewhats wrong. :(

I was giddy as a school girl once it fired back up, then everything came crashing down when the vibes hit. I WILL NOT GIVE UP THOUGH!

Don't ASS U ME anything when it comes to your Jeep!

I have found that most tow drivers are not mechanics. And A lot of them do not have a lot of experience with 4x4 systems. Especially Jeeps. As for the vibrations, lay under your jeep and try to move you Drive shaft up and down and side to side. If it move when you touch it imagine what it is doing at 2K RPM's :) The least little movement can be amplified at certain speeds but mellow at others. If it ends up being your U-Jooint go get one from NAPA or a spicer replacement. Oh by the way, are you lifted?

i just had to replace my u-joint. i had the same vibe they can go suddenly. when i checked mine it felt good but decied to change it any way. glad i did:D three of the cups where great all the bearings and lubed nice the fourth was just powder. you might want to try that first.

I got under there and tried to wiggle the drive shaft around and it didnt move.....so.......what else could be causing the vibes?

Back