• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oba

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey

I have been thinking about onboard air for a couple of months, but never seriously. Last week a faulty valve in my right front tire left me stranded after pulling over for a smoke in the middle of the night. I was on my way home from a hunting trip, and had to wait for help. After a couple of hous a truck came by and stopped, he had OBA and could help me fill my tire again (I always carry spare valves for my tires). Now, how do I build OBA? I know the possibility of converting the aircondition compressor to air, but that leaves me without aircondition. The york is another alternative, but they are hard to find here in Norway, and there is the possibility of mounting an electric compressor somewhere in the car. I have a spare aircondition compressor from a 1989 XJ(mine is 1988) and I was thinking of mounting this in the engine compartment somewhere. I know this takes less space than a York, and would like to investigate this possibility closer. Has anybody done this? I also know I need a air tank, fittings, airhoses etc. Fill me in where I'm missing something, and show me pictures of your setups!

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Arnt,

I went with an electric compressor on mine. It's a "Truck Air II" compressor that sits inthe back of the Jeep next to my storage box. It filled up my 30" tires from 10-12psi to road pressure in about 5 minutes a tire so it's not the fastest one out there but it's reliable. You can see it on the right side of the box.

feb24_01a.jpg

Full-size pic is http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/image/feb24_01.jpg

I run a ARB compress for on board air, air locker, and it fills up tires. It's not the fastest, but it does fill tires quicker than driving to the gas station. So that is what is most important to me, convenance of having air. It's mounted on the spare tire plate, the blue line is the Tire Fill kit. I have used it to fill tires, air shocks, footballs. I really like it.

picture.JPG

Juice

oba

l have a 99,and l put oba on it l got another ac comp.like whats on it made brackets,longer dr belt,made tank from pcv pipe,drilled an tap 2holes,uses pressure switch for arb comp.it works great.

Thanks for great answers.

I was thinking something like trailrunner has done, I want to use the spare aircondition compressor for oba. I do not have ARB's yet, but I do have plans. Where in the engine compartment have you put your compressor? do you have any pic's? Is there any writeup's out there that you know of? Thanks for all answers so far!

Thanks!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Since you've got 2 Sanden compressors, you're good to go. You can mount the second compressor on the side of your existing a/c compressor. You'll have to relocate your battery to make room. If you go to Kilby's site (onboardair.com) you can look up the specs on your '89 pump and see how it rates. There are Sanden compressors that pump almost as much as a York. See MJR for info, he's done this same conversion and it is CLEAN.

Back