• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Discount on Currie HD steering?

lesslimited

Official MWC Brewmeister
NAXJA Member
Does anyone discount Currie stuff? I already talked to Dirk at DPG, and he says he doesn't do enough volume with them to offer an appreciable discount. I've seen a lot of good home-made setups here, but I don't see having the time to do one of those myself before the end of the year. If I could get a good deal on the Currie setup, I could bolt it up and be done with it. I know there are other ones available, but my research has me pretty well decided on Currie.
TIA

(n) on currie!

stoney

Why is Currie (n) ? From what I've seen that is the best bolt-on HD steering kit on the market. Unless you can show me something better for the money for those of us that don't know how to weld...

eric .. the currie setup is mega beefy.. its nice however the only pitfall is the TREs are custom and mega expensive from currie if you need a new one.. i've had this setup on 2 xjs and a tj and love it.. you will not be dissappointed... although you may have to do a bit of " clearancing" on the track bar bolt on the axle.. HTH

The tre's are custom? That doesn't make any sense for Currie to do. Know wonder the cost is so much, to pay back for the production of TRE's.
I just a Newer XJ Drag link, and older Style Rubicon Express Tie Rod. I have an 88 with the little wimp drag link, the newer style is about twice the size.

picture.JPG

Juice

Juice- your picture sort of shows why I want the Currie. With that angle on the drag link, the TRE on the pass. knuckle is near the limit of it's travel. The over-priced Currie TRE there has a bend so it's more in the center of it's range. I'm not sure what articulation does to the angle at that TRE, but I think that unloading the front axle on a steep climb could bring the stock one to its limit, which is probably not a good thing.

the currie TREs look like one ton TREs till you notice they have to be custom because the thread on them fits thru a d30 knuckle with no reaming. there are no numbers of any kind on the currie TREs either and they wont give u a part number for em : \

The TRE's on the tie rod on mine are from a 3/4" ton Dodge front end. I have the part number if anyone needs them. I haven't really had a problem with the pass side TRE on the drag link. But this set up works well for me. Would I like to see a Drag link out there that is Heavy Duty, uses stronger TRE's and has that bend in it. Sure. But for me the cost of the Currie part isn't going to happen for now. Juice

lesslimited92 said:
Juice- your picture sort of shows why I want the Currie. With that angle on the drag link, the TRE on the pass. knuckle is near the limit of it's travel. The over-priced Currie TRE there has a bend so it's more in the center of it's range. I'm not sure what articulation does to the angle at that TRE, but I think that unloading the front axle on a steep climb could bring the stock one to its limit, which is probably not a good thing.

OK, I've asked before to no avial....

So I know the TRE that mounts to the Pitman arm (end of drag link) has a bend in it to help with the angles ... but am I hearing that the end of the draglink that mounts to the pass knuckle has a bend to aleviate angles as well? We are talking about the part that has the TRE incorporated into it....

I contacted Currie and they don't seem to answer questions very quickly.... or clearly:(

brcomputer said:
OK, I've asked before to no avial....

So I know the TRE that mounts to the Pitman arm (end of drag link) has a bend in it to help with the angles ... but am I hearing that the end of the draglink that mounts to the pass knuckle has a bend to aleviate angles as well? We are talking about the part that has the TRE incorporated into it....

I contacted Currie and they don't seem to answer questions very quickly.... or clearly:(

I ran this setup for a couple of years, & IIRC, both TRE's (on both ends of the DL) are bent to operate at a nuetral angles with about 4" lift, this as it was designed for the typical Currie TJ.
Paul

ECKSJAY posted pictures on a previous thread on this subject that clearly show the bends on both TREs (sorry- I haven't figured out how to do links to other threads,yet). This was what helped me decide on the Currie setup. We're sharing some good info here, but so far nobody has answered my original question on discount availability. Does this mean there is no such thing? I really don't want to pay more than everybody else did, like I did on my D30 axle shafts:anon:

lesslimited92 said:
ECKSJAY posted pictures on a previous thread on this subject that clearly show the bends on both TREs (sorry- I haven't figured out how to do links to other threads,yet). This was what helped me decide on the Currie setup. We're sharing some good info here, but so far nobody has answered my original question on discount availability. Does this mean there is no such thing? I really don't want to pay more than everybody else did, like I did on my D30 axle shafts:anon:

*ears up* I heard my name? :D

I indeed posted pics...and post again, I shall. Quite a comparison...and I swear to The Almighty Himself that these things moo'd when I installed them. ;)

currieandstock02.jpg

currieandstock04.jpg

SO could I get just the draglink and run it with my stock tierod if I wanted too? I mean. I'd replace it sooner or later, but my tierod angle is fine ... just the draglink is tight....

So, than couldn't you just bend the TRE if you heat it up. Or maybe MOOG sells them like that, I'm sure someone does or Currie bends them. Just a thought. Juice

Back