• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rims

Urban Redneck

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a new set of black rims for my rig. Should I go with 15x7 or 15x8? I have heard of bead loss with the 8's, but is the normal? Who makes a good set of black rims? Any suggestions would be great!

well if it says anything jeep sells the tjs with 8in with only an 30x 9.5 tire and as a trail gude for jeep jambos and camp jeep haveing emost every one air down to 15 on that set up i've had zero problems no w with 10in on some tires it is an issue.

Urban Redneck said:
I am looking for a new set of black rims for my rig. Should I go with 15x7 or 15x8?

What size tires do you run? Can't answer the question without knowing the parameters. One size does NOT fit all here ...:confused:

D'oh! Guess that info would help, wouldn't it. I am looking to run 31x10.5x15 Bridgestone Duelers. Any help on rim companies that make black ones would be great too!

You could go with either.

Since you said black wheels (steel 767 style, I'm guessing), I'd say get the 8's.
There's just so many different backspacings available in these (3.75" 4" 4.5" 4.75" 5", depending on manufacturer), there's not much reason not to get 8's (slight weight penalty, more easily rubbed rim edge, slightly greater chance of loosing a bead).

8" wheels will give you the option of going with a 12.5" wide tire later, if you wanted to.
11.5" tires are generally considered the widest tire for a 7" wheel (though some have run 12.5's).

If you were talking about running an aluminum wheel, I'd say the choice between 7's, and 8's would depend on if you wanted your wheels to stick out.
Typical 3.75" bs 15x7's will keep a 31x10.5" tire inside the wheelwell.
3.75" bs 15x8's will put the same tire slightly outside the flare.

There are deeper backspacings available in some aluminum wheels, but they tend to be more expensive.

FWIW, I'm running 32x11.5's on 7" Outlaw II style wheels (3.625"bs) on my XJ, and 31x10.5's on 8" Baja's (5.25"bs) on the gf's ZJ.

I strongly recommend staying away from AR767 rims. Too many folks, myself included, got factory pre-bent rims. I have heard good reports about the black rims that 4Wheel Parts sells and I think theirs are cheaper than the American Racing rims.

BTW, for 15x7 rims and 31x10.50x15 tires, 4.5" of backspacing is about perfect. I used AR767 15x8 with 4" backspacing and 32x11.50x15 tires and they stuck out just a little too much for me. Recently switched to 15x7 with 4.5" backspacing and it works well. YMMV.

Tom

Back