• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears?

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to Re-do the drivetrain on my XJ in about 2 weeks. I just want to know what gears I should run. I currently have 33's and will go up to 35's in the future(next set of tires, although the 33's are brand new). I have a 4.0L with an AW4 behind it. This is a daily driver but I 4wheel it at least once a week so it see's plenty or rocks too. I was thinking 4.56's would be good for the 35's but maybe to low for the 33's.:confused: What would you do? and what do you have now? Im also droping in a 4.3 AtlasII.

I'm running 33's w. 4.56 and I think it's right on the mark, with the AW-4 I can get close to 90 mph without windy it out too much, about 3000 RPM (which is nice for that long ride home). There will be guys out there that swear by 4.88's w. 33's. And others 4.10's

I would suggest going with the 4.88 now and lose a little hwy. speed/RPM, then when you put the 35's on you'll be set (Of course some will say you need 5.13's w. 35's).

What's the ratio are you currently running with the 33's?

With the Atlas you won't have to gear too low, so that's not a problem.

Last edited:
Right now Im running 3.54's with the 33's. Its actully not too shabby. Although I have no idea how the XJ would drive stock...I only drove it around my block once in stock form...heck I even trailered it home, 1 day after buying it the fenders were cut, and the 33's were on...they rubbed horbbly with only a 2.5-3" lift, but it was good enough for a week untill I got my RE kit in the mail. I guess I'll go with 4.88's. Im not afriad of low gears, this is just my first Automatic in a trail rig so Im not familiar with what gears to run. My YJ however will soon be getting 5.13's ;) :D

I have 4.56 gears, 32x11.50x15 tires, and an auto tranny. I'd say it's perfect now. So for 33s I'd go at least 4.88 gears.

Tom

I have a '91 with the AW4. Put on the 32's and the Jeep lost all of it's pep. It was a dog to drive. I looked at all the charts and formulas that all figured the 4.10s would be back to stock, but after extensive search of this and the JU forum, I decided to go 4.56. IMO this combo is perfect. The engine and tranny seem happy, and the Jeep is fun to drive again. If you really plan on going to 35's though, you probably should go lower. Now, someone please tell me where to get speedo gears beside the dealer.

Back