• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vent windows

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
I have the "solid"vent windows on my 89',how hard is it to swap out to the vents that open?

Local glass shops should sell the complete wing assy (they can get it in the frame - it's the recommended replacement method since these nearlt always have sealing and wind-noise issues if replacing just the glass) Be prepared to bend at the waist however!

In the scrap yard you can score the assemblies and install em easily enough - remember to score the felt/welt/weatherstripping to go with things - the frame has a few small rivets that are easily drilled-out and replaced -- not that difficult if you've pulled window glass before.

I've done a couple the other way-round (moveable to fixed), but I don't have the take-offs

churky,

Gimmie a call and we'll go to the u-pull-it. Bring em over to the house and ill help ya put them in.;)

Mike

I've done this a couple of times both ways. It's really pretty easy. You need to get the entire assembly, which includes the forward window track, complete with the felt weatherstripping. It attaches at the bottom with a bolt (you must take the door panel off), and at the top with two small screws that come down through the top of the door frame. No rivets that I'm aware of. If you're u-pulling, try also to get the outside "belt molding" that goes against the main glass, because that will provide you with a spare, and also a hands-on lesson on how to remove it properly.

Now, with the window down, you can tilt the top of the assembly aft, and then pull it up out of the door. At the very end, you have to work the tab at the bottom of the channel past the corner of the window (that is why you have to remove the belt molding mentioned above). Assembly is the reverse - just make sure that you push the assembly far enough forward, and that none of the rubber lips are tucked under.

Once it's in, you can align it a little with the top screws, and when it's all together you can loosen the screw that holds the top hinge to the glass, and move the glass a little forward or back to improve the seal. If the latch assembly is loose on the glass, you can remove the tiny roll pin that holds the latch handle on. Don't lose the latch button or the spring under it, or the wavy washer that goes under the handle. The post is hollow, and has a phillips screw inside to tighten it.

A little silicone grease on the gasket where it mates with the glass can help prevent leaks. Once it's well-aligned and snug, the gasket will sometimes relearn its correct position and seal better.

When shopping the boneyard for windows, be aware that a common failure of these is that the bottom pivot post will come loose from the frame of the glass, and instead of the window turning the post against the spring and washers in the outer frame, the glass will just turn against the post. Don't get any window that flops open loosely.

Finally another diehard wing window fan.

I love em

Ask around on these forums, a lot of silly twisted people acually install the solid ones to replace the wings. Maybe you can hook up with one of those fools and trade him your bad window for his good one....

Slip Kid said:
Finally another diehard wing window fan.

I love em

Ask around on these forums, a lot of silly twisted people acually install the solid ones to replace the wings. Maybe you can hook up with one of those fools and trade him your bad window for his good one....

That's just how I got a set to replace the originals on my 87 after the bottom posts rotted off. A pre-Naxja forum member who had tired of the leakage sent me his. He had bought new fixed windows from Jeep, so they even came packed in the proper boxes! When my daughter retired the 87, I repossessed the windows and put them into my 95. Here in VT, where you only get about 5 days a year that require air conditioning, wing windows are cheaper than fixing the AC when the tubing rusts off!

So, thanks to Chrisjan Matser of Boston, wherever you are....

---i used to love the wing windows on my old 87 XJ.....until it got broken into thru the driver side one!!! (very easy to pick the latch assembly open on the older, worn-in units)

and it used to leak in heavy rain/car washing

now on my 96 XJ i am content with the fixed glass

my $.02

CaptTrev

Well, I may end up becoming one of those "fools" soon. Both of my vents leak when it rains and its not fun. I have 0 wind noise but the water gets everywhere,(floor, inner door panels, speakers). I caulked them shut until i can get some new rubber or something. Know where yo pick some up? (preferebly new, not used)

vents

I already know bout the speaker issue,that's why I'm gonna relocate them else where.

Back