• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 JX, fuel pump not priming when turning key

b17gsr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

New here after recently picking up a non starting XJ as a project vehicle for my son. It’s a 1998 4dr 4x4 Sport, 4.0 with AW4.

Here’s the debugging we’ve done to date (won’t bore you with things corrected to get to this point...):
  1. When turning ignition key to run, fuel pump does not prime.
  2. Checked fuses in PDC, look and test ok.
  3. Moved relays around (I know starter relay is good and turns over with fuel pump relay or ADS relay in starter relay socket), and still no fuel priming when ignition in run position. I can feel the starter relay clicking (any relay In that socket while cranking), but can’t feel any relay click at the fuel pump socket (Don’t recall checking if the ADS relay clicks).
  4. With fuel pump relay removed, if I short out pins 2 & 8, fuel pump works and there’s good fuel pressure at the rail (don’t have pressure tester, so cannot confirm exact fuel pressure).
  5. Battery power present on pin 4 when we turn the ignition to run & crank.
  6. Checked continuity of pin 6 back to the PCM. All good.
  7. Checked the CPS, reads infinite between pins B & C.
  8. With CPS plugged or unplugged, the only gauge that moves with ignition turned to run is the oil pressure (moves a tad) and odometer displays. Complete cluster seems to work when doing the self diagnostic test.
  9. Pulled code 1694, so started testing the PCM. At the DTC, read 2.41V between pins 3 - 5 and 11 - 5 with ignition set to run. With ignition in lock position and negative battery terminal disconnected, resistance between pins 3 and 11 was 59.9 ohms.
  10. With more than 12V at the battery and ignition to run, voltage to ground at CPS orange wire is 0.5V.
Since the fuel pump won’t prime when the key is turned to run position, I’m suspecting that the PCM is faulty. Is there anything else I should check before going to the local wrecker and pulling a PCM? I did check all the fuses in PDC, but forgot to check if all fuses in the Junction Block are ok, other than fuse 11 (it was good). Are there any fuses in the Junction Box that could prevent the PCM from grounding pin 6 for the fuel pump relay to latch, or limit the CPS output voltage to 0.5V?

I did notice that one of the wires to the upstream O2 sensor was melted, so I repaired it and re-routed the harness. Fuse in PDC is good.

Thanks

Back