• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console swap

tealxj97

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm looking to swap an overhead console from a 98 into my 97 xj. I've got the console, harness, air temp sensor, and mounting bracket.

My factory harness has the plug in at the front bumper for the air temp and ive connected the plug for the dome lights that work. but ive dropped my glove box and dont seem to have any plug hanging out to tap into for the other functions.
I've been doing research and the swap is applied to 97+ but I'm curious if maybe the 97 xjs didnt have the same harness? I haven't come across anyone who has swapped into a 97 before.

Anyone have any idea? thank you in advance!

Have experience putting a '99 overhead in a '00. Pretty much had to use the visors from the '99 and one connector needed to be swapped. None of that helps you.

I get a bit confused with '97's. Since it was a switch over year I am under the impression that some, not all. '97's have different dome lights and cargo bay lights. Some like a '96 down would have and others like you would see in all '98's and up.

That being said, also assuming I have a clue, wondering if you had dome lights like a '96 down you would want a overhead out of a '96 down. As far as how they look they are completely different. As far as the wiring not a clue.

1997's have slightly different wire harnesses but the plugs should be there. Sometime they are tucked up out of the way and sometimes they are under the carpet.

standard.jpg

Hey guys so just posting an update, I've ripped most of the dash out on the pass side to make sure I wasn't overlooking the plugs. I have no carpets so its not tucked away under that either.

I'm assuming that plug comes out of the harness that passes through the firewall just above the passanger side floorpan fuse box, if so if I am missing the plugs do you guys know if I may still have the wiring in that harness that I could just splice into?

See that black piece of plastic under the dash board in the picture above. Look behind there. I think that is where you will find them.

In the picture above the plugged in wire harness with the two paper ID tags on the right, red and white, is the OHC wire harness. One body side plug is the white one seen above the yellow plug, and the other body side wire plug is usually clipped to the dashboard above/inside about where the screw hole in the dash is seen in the picture, remove the glove box so you can see. Unplug and move the AM/FM antenna wire if necessary

Last edited:
So not all 97 xjs have these plugs. I've removed my factory harness that runs to the passenger side fuse box and swapped the one in from the 98 for the plugs, connected everything and still no luck. for some reason my jeep doesn't have any supporting wiring for the overhead console, maybe because it was a sport model but i can confirm this swap Isn't possible on ALL 97-01 xjs.

Ill try and grab a pic for you guys. Its just the basic dome light with the white square lens and 2 forward facing map lights with 1 button each.

> the white square lens and 2 forward facing map lights with 1 button each.

My 1997 Sport had an even more basic light without forward facing lights but I still had all of the wiring in place to run the overhead console. My connectors were tucked up pretty high under the dash out of the way. By removing the door trim panel I was able to run the new console wires next to the firewall in their factory location. It took some angry words and patience, but it worked.

Back