• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Gauge Not Working

superslow

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 AW4

My in dash temp gauge is only half working. It operates normally up to 210F but doesn't register past that. I have a scangauge hooked up to OBD II that I've monitored the temp with the last couple of years but I think it's time to see if I can fix it.

Anybody aware of a fix for the gauge? Can it be replaced or does the whole instrument cluster need replacement?

Edit: I forgot to mention I did the instrument cluster self test where you hold in the trip gauge reset and the gauge operated properly. So it might not actually be a problem with the gauge itself.

Last edited:
Have you tried a new sensor or checked your connections? My 2K has always showed the actual temps, I see it on a abnormally hot day, A/C on, in low range, or when towing!

I also run "electrically conductive grease" on all my cables, wires , and connectors!

Last edited:
I haven't really done anything to solve this issue yet because I keep my Scangauge II hooked up all the time and I can monitor the temp. It seems accurate and the dash gauge should be reading the same signal.

An example of the problem is that the other day I was sitting in traffic on a warm day and I could watch my temp slowly climb on the scangauge 205:arrowr:210:arrowr:215:arrowr:220 and at 222 the aux fan kicks on and brings the temp back down to 210 and kicks off. Meanwhile the dash gauge goes from 205:arrowr:210 and stops at 210.

When the temperature sender died, I tried three temperature senders before finding one that read the same as an infrared thermometer.
Now, both the Factory gauge and the ScanGauge read the same. The needle will go past 210, if the engine is very hot.
With the Scan Gauge, I rarely, if ever, look at the dash gauge.

Have you tried a new sensor or checked your connections? My 2K has always showed the actual temps, I see it on a abnormally hot day, A/C on, in low range, or when towing!

I also run "electrically conductive grease" on all my cables, wires , and connectors!

My 2k shoes to 215 then stops till 250( found this on the trail. I literally thought to myself wow this thing runs really cool. Beep. Look down. Check gauges and the needle at 250. Kill it and watch it boil. Cool my potato in tin foil under the hood. Ate it for lunch. ) only had it hotter one time. She went to 265 pinged and died. I left her for the night, come back the next morning to her 500 feet down stream( it died on the bank of a creek and it must have rained to the north. Flash flood and wet floorboards. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back