• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating issue

ceasar

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 that is overheating. I pulled the thermostat ,ran it,still overheats. Pulled the waterpump and there is absolutely no water in the head. Put a new water pump on and have no coolant flow at all. What wouldn't stop it completely?

No at that point the pump would simply push coolant through the head and out through the housing. If you still don't get any flow its possible that the ports are clogged in the block or head (my old 91 engine had a clogged port in the head, still ran!). Otherwise the radiator itself is clogged.

I would pull the hoses and the thermostat housing, and stick garden hose in the head until water freely poured out the lower block. Then do the same for the radiator and heater core.

I got a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 that is overheating. I pulled the thermostat ,ran it,still overheats. Pulled the waterpump and there is absolutely no water in the head. Put a new water pump on and have no coolant flow at all. What wouldn't stop it completely?

The cooling tubes in the radiator are super thin on the ID. They can clog up super easy. They are the choke point, first to clog up. But on a 91 open cooling system, you should be able fill the drivers side tank of the radiator and flood most of the engine block. BUT!!! IF the radiator tubes are clogged, no pump can pull water from a closed fully blocked radiator.

My first used jeep had 75 % of the tubes full blocked off already. It was 70% of the overheating problem, 87 Renix XJ.

Back