• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4 cyl xj

voudoux

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed on my 4 cyl 1998 xj that it has a engine driven clutch fan,and a good sized electric fan mounted directly in front of it right on the radiator. There is room on both sides of it so it could have been off set ,all of this looks stock,is it. The fan set up is way different than the 1999 4.0 xj I have. Now to my question, of replacing the mechanical fan with an electric fan to free up a few horsepower. I have read a lot of opinions on this swap on the 4.0,but not much on the 2.5 4cyl. I would think it would be more likely to work on the 2.5 4cyl than the 4.0 any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yep replace the mechanical fan with an electric, the existing electrical is probably switched by the A/C

You will notice a huge difference, especially noise,

Make the two fans side by side, using either a temp send or or capillary style switch, and wit an override switch in the cab

And your good to go

If you are serious..............

You will need a high end, high performance, fan. Do not get a store bought Hayden or other.

Do not use existing wiring.

What fans, 2of the stock electric,2 aftermarket,1 stock 1 after market,what are you using? Did you keep the shroud or do away with it on your xj? Thanks

I have a 98 xj with a 2.5. Your setup is completely stock. I think the electric fan is for a/c but it kicks in if the motor is too hot. My fan clutch is shot so ive had it turn on with the a/c off a few times. Im also interested in getting rid of both of them for an electric only setup

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have not measured but it looks like two of the factory electric fans may fit. This should move enough air to cool the engine. I have read about the wiring and when the fans should run, to act like the stock fan one or both should run all the time letting the thermostat control engine temp,not the fans coming on when the engine starts getting hot. But I don't know if the fans would stand continuous running or is it straining the alternator. Just some thoughts and ideas. Thanks

You'll want three fans, three HIGH PERFORMANCE fans. They will not be cheap, you might be in the neighborhood of $130 each.

You'll need a shroud that the fans mount to, that will be $110.

You'll need to wire each fan on it's own circuit, it's own relay. The relays can be controlled from a single source.

2.5s will overheat just as, if not quicker, than 4.0s.

You have a cross-flow radiator, with the mechanical fan only drawing air through less than half of the radiator.

Fans are made to run continuous, but they do not have to, during some commutes they may not run at all. (there are racing fans that are not made to run continuous, you won't be looking at those anyway)

Factory cooling is inadequate, period. There will be those who claim otherwise. Those same people are cheap, they buy/bought junk and got junk results.

Do your homework, I did mine.

I pull a 3500lbs trailer with my 2.5, my temp needle reaches running temp and now NEVER moves.

You should be looking to achieve a 2700cfm draw.

Oh, yes, you will need to upgrade your alt, fans will draw between 60 and 75 amps. 10g wire, no less.

67108_v1_20121129.jpg

I am in no way recommending Flexalite.......however.............take note of the relief holes in the shroud, between the fans, without the holes turbulence will build up.
You will see no vents on the cheap shrouds.

Other high end shrouds will have holes or vent flaps...........I learned the hard way.

Is this the set up you are running on your 2.5? Very nice, but way over budget. Where did you get all your knowledge on this subject? As the reason for the holes,this is the kind of info that designers or engineers know the average persons just thinks they look neat. I learned a lot from this post, My jeep does not over heat now and this looks like quite a bit of money to spend to gain a few horsepower. The only problem with your post calling people cheap , not that some aren't,but a lot are doing the best they can with what they got. Thanks for the reply.

Is this the set up you are running on your 2.5? Very nice, but way over budget. Where did you get all your knowledge on this subject? As the reason for the holes,this is the kind of info that designers or engineers know the average persons just thinks they look neat. I learned a lot from this post, My jeep does not over heat now and this looks like quite a bit of money to spend to gain a few horsepower. The only problem with your post calling people cheap , not that some aren't,but a lot are doing the best they can with what they got. Thanks for the reply.

Jeep people are cheap, mostly, then they complain or give out false information. That's what I'm speaking to.

Here is what most are running- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121388280363?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT pure junk, then they will run all three fans in series and lose fan speed.

Will you gain HP? maybe. But there is a greater advantage to Efans than the 3-4 hp gain.

No, I have a down-flow, single fan, earlier year.

Thanks for reply ,I understand what you mean,as to the misinfo that is why I ask so many questions and have a lot of ideas. My first jeep was a new 1973 cj5 (1/4 ton,no back seat and a tailgate) been "messing with" 4x4 ever sense. I like to talk with folks that know from experience. Thanks again.

Now that it seems that electric fans are out due to cost does anyone have a suggestion for anon electric fan that is lighter than the stock setup,which is quite heavy. Thanks

I run two stock 97+ 10-blade efans in my 96 w/ 4.6l&ax-15 and they work great and will last and the stock alternator can handle it. Don't waste your time or money with tripple setups or even fabbing the high current taurus fan to run and fit.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057920&page=2

I would like more info on your set up,specific fans (what xj said they came off of) ,if you used any type of shroud etc. any help would be great. Thanks

Stupid question, how do you figure it will save horsepower?

I noticed on my 4 cyl 1998 xj that it has a engine driven clutch fan,and a good sized electric fan mounted directly in front of it right on the radiator. There is room on both sides of it so it could have been off set ,all of this looks stock,is it. The fan set up is way different than the 1999 4.0 xj I have. Now to my question, of replacing the mechanical fan with an electric fan to free up a few horsepower. I have read a lot of opinions on this swap on the 4.0,but not much on the 2.5 4cyl. I would think it would be more likely to work on the 2.5 4cyl than the 4.0 any help would be appreciated. Thanks

As far as owning a 2.5L, yes I owned an 85 2.5L carb'd that I rebuilt, changed over to TBI and a wild cam.

I based my statement on it taking more horse power to turn the mechanical fan than it takes to turn the alternator to generate the electricity to run the electric fans. I am not sure the term saving horsepower is an accurate way to describe it ,you just redirect it from one area to another ( from fan to wheels or maybe alternator on some of the electric fan setups I have seen) . Why do think it won't free up some HP for some other use? Thanks

Back