• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Issues

Spokes

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys. So i recently replaced the evap in my '00. The old one blew out, shocking, i know. So this isnt my first time doing it. I swapped it out, unfortunately i used an Advanced auto one (ballin on a budget) and i swap it in and get the system recharged and the ac works.... but it simply does not get as cold as it use to. The compressor is new as well and it kicked ass with the old evap. So im wondering is it maybe the cheap evap? The system has been vacuumed and refilled 3 times. So no its not low on Freon. Im down here in Florida so yes its stupid hot BUT because i replaced the evap the AC would freeze me out on a 105* day. Now i have to have it cranked all the time just to maintain a steady sweat lol So thoughts???? 99.9% i have everything in the box the right way? Only thing im thinking is maybe the flapper valve in there stopped working so the AC is fighting the heater core? BUT im open to ideas. Thanks!

Verify the Blend-Air Door actuator is working.

It should turn approximately 90 degrees from stop to stop (hot/cold).

jpgBlendDoorDiagram21_24_13.jpg

Verify the Blend-Air Door actuator is working.

It should turn approximately 90 degrees from stop to stop (hot/cold).

jpgBlendDoorDiagram21_24_13.jpg

The tab is broken on the blend door. However i have the blend door propped open. The actuator does work i just havent had time to get up and drill a small hole to fix it.

Was the condenser replaced as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No

how do your pressures look? did you change the expansion valve? how about the receiver?

Pressures are right on point. IIFC it was with the compressor on 40-45lbs and off goes to 70-75. That also with the jeep sitting in Florida sun mid day not running to running.

So the only part replaced was the evaporator ?
Compressor is recent.
Condenser is old,
receiver dryer old?
Expansion valve?

Expansion valve could affect temperatures.
Old condenser not quite right or possible clogged could be a problem.

Fan speed too low to properly cool
Does the auxiliary fan come on? (If the 00 has one. )

I hate trying to trouble shoot ac. So many little fiddley problems to sort when it doesn't work right

You might try looking up the evaporator you got and see if there are reviews on it, if it's no good there hopefully will be a few complaints

Can you measure the temperature of the center vents.

I can attempted to, just need to find a temp gauge.

So the only part replaced was the evaporator ?
Compressor is recent.
Condenser is old,
receiver dryer old?
Expansion valve?

Expansion valve could affect temperatures.
Old condenser not quite right or possible clogged could be a problem.

Fan speed too low to properly cool
Does the auxiliary fan come on? (If the 00 has one. )

I hate trying to trouble shoot ac. So many little fiddley problems to sort when it doesn't work right

You might try looking up the evaporator you got and see if there are reviews on it, if it's no good there hopefully will be a few complaints

Its weird some days it works as it should and others its not as efficient. The electric fan kicks on and off as it should when at idle.

Compressor is recent. - yes
Condenser is old, - yes original one
receiver dryer old? - did not change
Expansion valve? - did not change

Might just be my imagination but it seems to me that the Jeep now has a lot more water run off when the AC is on. Now mind you I'm in Florida so its like 99% humidity lol

Well the receiver/ dryer being old is a problem, they recommend changing it when major work is done.

Expansion valve could do what you're describing too. Dunno on the condenser either.

Honestly I don't know enough to tell you what you need to look at first. Or if the evaporator couldn't still be bad.

When I redid the ac in a 92, already had a recent evaporator so I put new hoses, expansion , dryer and condenser on with a mopar NOS compressor.

Working right on some days could just be the conditions being right, with the hot humid weather a break in the humidity can make all the difference. When I lived away from the south I didn't miss the high humidity.

I find of wonder if the evaporator isn't freezing up then melting because of something.

Well the receiver/ dryer being old is a problem, they recommend changing it when major work is done.

Expansion valve could do what you're describing too. Dunno on the condenser either.

Honestly I don't know enough to tell you what you need to look at first. Or if the evaporator couldn't still be bad.

When I redid the ac in a 92, already had a recent evaporator so I put new hoses, expansion , dryer and condenser on with a mopar NOS compressor.

Working right on some days could just be the conditions being right, with the hot humid weather a break in the humidity can make all the difference. When I lived away from the south I didn't miss the high humidity.

I find of wonder if the evaporator isn't freezing up then melting because of something.

I was wondering if the evap was freezing up as well. How hard are the receiver/ dryer and expansion valve to change?

i dont have a manual for a 97 but atleast on the 1990 there is a thermal switch that shuts down the compressor if the discharge temperature drops below 40 ish. is the compressor cycling? and did you charge by weight or pressure?

i dont have a manual for a 97 but atleast on the 1990 there is a thermal switch that shuts down the compressor if the discharge temperature drops below 40 ish. is the compressor cycling? and did you charge by weight or pressure?

Compressor is functioning as it should. I believe the shop charged it by pressure

Those parts are easy , especially compared to what you've already done.

I don't have my jeep to look, the expansion valve I think is bolted right to the evaporator near the firewall .
The dryer is on the frame I want to say in the area below the ac compressor.

a meat thermometer might be better.

I have that haha ill get some temps today.

Those parts are easy , especially compared to what you've already done.

I don't have my jeep to look, the expansion valve I think is bolted right to the evaporator near the firewall .
The dryer is on the frame I want to say in the area below the ac compressor.

I'm not worried about getting my hands dirty just sucks cause FL is so damn hot to work outside lol I'm from NJ so this is new haha

I have that haha ill get some temps today.

I'm not worried about getting my hands dirty just sucks cause FL is so damn hot to work outside lol I'm from NJ so this is new haha

Welcome to hell! ;)
It's so blazing hot tools left partially in the sun for a few minutes are too hot to touch. I bought a cheap canopy to try to shade the work area . Or work in January, like I did for my last motor swap.

Welcome to hell! ;)
It's so blazing hot tools left partially in the sun for a few minutes are too hot to touch. I bought a cheap canopy to try to shade the work area . Or work in January, like I did for my last motor swap.

haha nah, I'm just going to move out of Fl. Its boring down here haha :eyes:

Back