• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil level testing

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Got to thinking this week about how the oil level can change by a quart during a level test, depending on when you check it, even on level grade, if you have the modified thread installed on the Renix with the 1 quart oil filter and a cheap filter brand with a bad or no anti drain back valve. Maybe an issue with the HO engines too.

Any one ever tested this????

I just check the oil level in a consistent location, and at a consistent time after I shut the engine off. It doesn't need to be exact, it needs to be above ADD. If you have an engine that doesn't burn or leak oil, its just about a non-issue. :)

Nope. My Renix is pretty much stock. As long as it's between the lines, I'm good. I'll most likely hit a change interval before the level drops below the fill mark.

I have 2 oil eaters, no leaks anywhere, one is a jeep, the other a Saturn, both at about 280,000 miles. They can eat 1 quart of 20W50 in about 300 miles, especially right after an oil change. So it is kinda important in my case, to make sure it does not run out of oil and to monitor gallons per mile of oil used :eek: (LOL, that was not a typo).

So in my case if the drain back valve is not sealing it would easily over estimate to oil pan oil level by an entire quart. Thus 1 quart low might really be 2 quarts low. And one tank of gas at that level might mean disaster. I have worn valve guides on 2 cylinders that foul those two spark plugs in about 1000 miles, and when they get fouled enough, unburned gasoline dilutes the oil and thins it out, thus making the oil consumption rate higher. So once again I watch it very closely on the jeep. The saturn just eats oil, plugs all look perfect after 50,000 miles and still gets 31 mpgs. Might try an MMO special process to clean the piston rings on the saturn. Both run great, smooth as glass. Except for a noisy tappet it has had for over 70,000 miles on the Jeep, 87 Wagoneer.

If they are burning that much oil you may want to repair the mechanical issues before trying any cheap fixes. You might flush out your compression and then it may not run at all.

If they are burning that much oil you may want to repair the mechanical issues before trying any cheap fixes. You might flush out your compression and then it may not run at all.

Compression is not the know issue with the Saturn, the oil control rings are and GM has an MMO fix procedure from what I read recently. Been this way for 100,000 miles.

The Jeep has 2 cyls with bad valve guides. That fix is on the roundtoit list.It too has had the same steady state problem for 70,000 miles and 12 years.

But neither of these was the topic of this thread. My post was meant as a warning to others with oil guzzlers, which is common with these old high mileage engines, to pay attention to the timing and and making sure the vehicle is on level ground when checking the oil level. See post number 1.

Oh, and if you have kids like I do, you need to teach them to keep the oil level above the FULL mark, :eek: and check it every time they buy gas. The problem is worse if it is a shared vehicle. :looney:

Oh, and you need to teach them to stay off the grass and away from tire and rim eating curbs.

Oh, and besides, I am a 45 year master at cheap fixes, never leave home with out duct tape :)

Last edited:
Back