• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console wiring

95cherokee96

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an overhead console from eBay came with 2 wiring harnesses one for a 2001 and one for a 2000. Both have 9 wires but different size 10 pin connectors. My jeep is a 2000 but it also has a different connector than the 2 harnesses and only has 8 wires. I've searched for days on numerous forums looking at write ups but all the wiring diagrams that I can find are either from people asking to email them to you and are no longer active on forums or uploaded to a website that no longer exists. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Don't know if I should splice the wires or swap connectors as I have no idea which wires are for what.

The XJ white wire harness fuse box side plugs look like below. 97-99 are year specific, 00-01 are the same. Any 97-01 XJ OHC will work in any 97-01 XJ with the correct wire harness, or the correct fuse box side wire connections. You should be counting 9 wires in the harness. The black console wire plug is the same for all years. You can simply match up the wire colors and use the plug of your choice, or splice them directly. Some of the wire plug pins are not used.

Post pics of what you have.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
The XJ wire harness fuse box side plugs look like below. 97-99 are year specific, 00-01 are the same. Any 97-01 XJ OHC will work in any 97-01 XJ with the correct wire harness, or the correct fuse box side wire connections. You should be counting 9 wires in the harness. The consoles wire plug is the same for all years. You can simply match up the wire colors and use the plug of your choice, or splice them directly. Some of the wire plug pins are not used.

standard.jpg

Found that but none of the colours are matching on the existing harness to either of the new ones. It's supposed to plug in to the top of the junction block on the passenger side, correct?

Yes, it plugs in near the fuse box. Post pics, one might suspect you got a ZJ Grand Cherokee OHC.

Here's the console
FOOo1jg.jpg

The connector
PQTFGed.jpg

Body harness (1st pic) OHC harness (2nd pic)
F0nJujz.jpg

ZZLlfMo.jpg

As you can see the colours don't match but everything I've read said they should except for the 97 models

True, you are looking for a matching wire plug on about a 6 inch length of wire. It is typically above or forward of the fuse box. Removing the glovebox door makes it easier to see and work.

Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread. Bought a '99 overhead console with the wiring harness and grabbed the visors, with vanity mirrors, to put in my '00. Now my understanding is that I will have to use the connector behind the kickplate from my dome light harness in the '00 because the '99 is different. Just need to repin it. Is that correct? Also the visors with vanity lights in the '00 are 2 wires and the '99's are one. Was told I would need to ground one of the wires off the '00 visors somewhere to the roof to get them to work. Is that correct? I can't use the '99 visors because they are grey and my interior is camel. Another question is will a '00 or '01 overhead console harness plug into a '99 overhead on the overhead side? If so I am guessing I can use my visors with not mods. Just plug and play. And also if that is true and you have two harnesses any chance you will sell one? Looking to make the mod as close to plug and play as possible. In a perfect world I would have found an '00 or '01 overhead console but ya know.

Edit: Another question if I were to get lucky and find 1 wire camel visors from a '99 would they work? Just plug and play?

Last edited:
Back