• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange clunking or binding in reverse and turning

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
SO strange thing on my new 99. It seems to have a weird clunk in the rear end but only when I back up and turn at the same time. I don’t notice it when going forward or backing up straight.
This morning it felt like the rear ring and pinion bound up and actually stopped the jeep from going anywhere when backing and turning. I put it back into drive, moved forward and it unlocked and was fine when I backed up straight.

I have not left work yet but when I parked, I made sure that I didn’t have to back up when I left. Any insight? I’m thinking it’s either a carrier or pinion bearing.

forgot to mention that it was doing this before and after I replaced the wheel bearings and seals. Thought they were the culprit but the jeep ended up acting the same after replacement.

99 limited 100% stock
8.25 factory limited slip rear end
Auto trans

Last edited:
mine is any time, cold or hot. I did find that today when I backed out of my driveway turning left, it didnt seem to bind at all.

The last two days are really all that I have driven it. I havnt owned it that long.

U-joints, front, and driveshaft u-joints for sure

But why would it only happen in reverse and turning but not forward and turning?

Also it seems like I can feel it in the rear axle when it binds which leads me to believe pinion or carrier bearings.

I'd pull the diff cover and check the fluid. My Ford 8.8 with an Ected Limited Slop/Locker did that after I went a little too deep and got some water in there.

I pulled the cover when I did the wheel bearings and everything looked ok to my untrained eye. This jeep has never been off road so water crossings wouldn't be an issue.

Mine did it on sharp turns going forward up a ramp turning into parking lots off the street at low speeds, turned out to be the front drive shaft U-joint, called a double Cardan U-Joint. Just grab the drive shaft and push and pull on it and if the joint moves at all it is going bad. The sound on mine was from the rear, but the bad part was upfront. Noise travels on these beasts. Test both driveshafts just to sure.

Something loose in the rear brake drums?

Definitely not something loose in the drums.. Did the KJ 8.25 disc swap. made the sound before and after the swap.

Back