• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad positive camber noticed after Ball Joint R&R?

ZsmXJ450

NAXJA Forum User
Been on and read posts, first time posting, hope its in the right place.
i have a 1995 jeep cherokee sport with 2in lift in front and 1.5 in lift in rear. Changed my ball joints about a year ago and noticed that within 2-3 months my front tires are wearing like this \--+-/ Before replacing the ball joints the tires would wear normally. had an alignment done a few times after the ball joints before i noticed the excessive wear on the outsides of tires. 1st question- has this happened to anyone else? 2nd, is there a difference between ball joints for a dana 30 reverse and a dana 30/44? i ask because looking at 4wp online i noticed when i chose rev. it didn't show the ball joints they gave me, which were dana 30/44.

And i'm 90% sure that the axle is not bent at all. And they aren't adjustable.

If it is toed I excessively, it can show similar wear on the tires. Have you had the tech show you the alignment (either print out or on the screen) ? On these trucks, techs just set toe because there aren't usually adjustments. So many cases they don't bother mentioning camber issues. Is there a possibility you accidentally installed offset balljoints? They would look similar. Just spitballing. Good luck.

You say you had aligned? Any problems? That kind of wear is caused by improper toe in adjustment

well i messed up one ball joint with a stupid rookie mistake today.. I was first thinking they weren't pressed in right, or all the way.. so when i get a new one and put it in i'm going to try a new shop. this shop didn't show me anything as far as specs, but all they work on is jeep so you'd think they would know better. This shop also said maybe the axle is bent with out even looking at it. hopefully the toe is what it is. thanks for the help.

Back