• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box options

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
I tried rebuilding my steering gear box... The first time it wasn't adjusted for preload correctly so I had to pull it and adjust it.
After the reinstall it leaks from the seal that you need a spanner wrench to adjust (faces the rear of the jeep).
I use a quart of fluid every few weeks it leaks so bad.

I'm sick of messing with this thing, are there any last things to try before I get a new one?

What's a good source for a reliable remanufactured box?

send it to West Texas offroad, or PSC and have it rebuilt.

it will cost you less than a reman box and it will actually work.

You need a new seal on the input shaft. The ridge on the shaft has a habit of ripping the seals when you put it on. I take a piece of emery cloth and ease the edge a bit before reassembly. I also do fine emery cloth on the shaft surface where the seal goes to make sure it is nice and smooth.

I tried rebuilding my steering gear box... The first time it wasn't adjusted for preload correctly so I had to pull it and adjust it.
After the reinstall it leaks from the seal that you need a spanner wrench to adjust (faces the rear of the jeep).
I use a quart of fluid every few weeks it leaks so bad.

I'm sick of messing with this thing, are there any last things to try before I get a new one?

What's a good source for a reliable remanufactured box?

Lares. You can get one on rockauto for pretty cheap. They are here in the states and I've had no issues with mine. PSC and west tex are nice but $$$$$

Lares. You can get one on rockauto for pretty cheap. They are here in the states and I've had no issues with mine. PSC and west tex are nice but $$$$$

for PSC or West texas to just do a simple rebuild will cost about the same as either of those boxes.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1127909

Just went through this.

West TX wanted $150 plus shipping just to do a basic rebuild, and PSC it was $75 plus shipping just for them to look at it.
I'm very happy with the Lares box on my rig now, which was shipped from Rockauto for $105. Aside from the 1st Lares box and the bad threading on the line point, the 2nd is very, very smooth and completely changed the way my Jeep drives.

Did you have to make any adjustments on the Lares box or just toss it in and go? Did you fool with the PS pump or just leave it OEM XJ stuff?

X3 on the Lares box from Rockauto. Lares 1353 was $57.79 + $50 core and works great. Mine is paired with the PSC SP1205C pump. It's a good combo.

Alright....just ordered the Lares 1353. We'll see how it works out - estimated here around June 1...

Probably rebuild it and stick it on the shelf in my garage. I've become an XJ parts hoarder.

We need to create a PO anonymous group :) XJPOO

I got the Lares 1353 installed last night and got the pitman arm ready to install.

The directions read: "Your steering gear box has been centered to the optimal position at our factory. A yellow alignment mark has been drawn on the sector shaft and the case. It is important that these marks line up or you will have excessive play. Adjust your steering wheel or pitman arm and tie rod ends as necessary so the marks line up."

First off, box has NO yellow marks anywhere on it at all. Secondly, when I was putting the rod between the box and the steering wheel on, it turned the shaft some and it isn't at the same place it was when it came from the factory.

Anyone foresee issues?

I got the Lares 1353 installed last night and got the pitman arm ready to install.

The directions read: "Your steering gear box has been centered to the optimal position at our factory. A yellow alignment mark has been drawn on the sector shaft and the case. It is important that these marks line up or you will have excessive play. Adjust your steering wheel or pitman arm and tie rod ends as necessary so the marks line up."

First off, box has NO yellow marks anywhere on it at all. Secondly, when I was putting the rod between the box and the steering wheel on, it turned the shaft some and it isn't at the same place it was when it came from the factory.

Anyone foresee issues?

No answer from me, but that is very interesting!!!

Exactly what happened to me. It was just off a little in the input shaft, and no yellow marks. Didn't harm anything.

Sent using Tapatalk

I wrapped it all up today and took it for a test drive. It was considerably tighter, but I did feel a dead spot on occasion. Nothing regular. I still have some clunking, so I do need to take a look at everything from underneath while someone steers it to be sure everything is tight. I was able to straighten the steering wheel then when I put on the pitman arm it fit almost perfectly with where the TRE was set from the old box, so I can't imagine I hurt anything. I am pulling right, so I need to get that attended to.

Could a bad steering shaft - from the firewall to the box - cause clunking or any additional play in the steering wheel?

Overall, I think it was a good move to install this box, and I'll know more next time I open it up on the interstate.

How's the steering box working for you guys? My old one is leaking like a bandit now so I have to replace it.

My box is doing awesome, no issues at all. My WJ pumps needs some love but nothing major.

Back