• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oily sheen in coolant reservoir?

erykv1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

About 4-5 months ago I replaced my radiator along with the hoses, thermostat and water pump.

Jeep ran great until today. Normal temps have been right at 210" but it was running a click over at 230* today. Granted, its getting warmer, but it shouldn't wander far off 210*. Seemed like it was getting hotter at freeway speeds, so that rules out the fan clutch.

I took a peek into the overflow tank and noticed 2 things

1. looks kinda brown again, expected... the previous owner neglected the system and I may not have flushed it enough
2. there seems to be an oily sheen over it... I immediately looked into the oil cap and thankfully no milky signs

The second part kind of concerns me. Should I just do a flush again and see where it takes me? Please tell me the head gasket isn't knocking on heavens gates.

Thanks!

You can rent a head gasket leak tester for free (just make a refundable deposit) and then buy the leak detection fluid online and test it in about 5 minutes. Simple test a child could do. Or buy the entire package like I did.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Doing this saved me hours of sleepless nights while focused on finding the real problem on 4 of my vehicles, and told to get after it doing head gasket work on 2 others.

I would not panic yet, but I would test it right away, then flush the cooling system. Might want to use a descaler flush this time on just the block, but that takes a pump and some plumbing to avoid having scale coming loose and clogging the radiator tubes.

Last edited:
Hey all,

About 4-5 months ago I replaced my radiator along with the hoses, thermostat and water pump.

Jeep ran great until today. Normal temps have been right at 210" but it was running a click over at 230* today. Granted, its getting warmer, but it shouldn't wander far off 210*. Seemed like it was getting hotter at freeway speeds, so that rules out the fan clutch.

I took a peek into the overflow tank and noticed 2 things

1. looks kinda brown again, expected... the previous owner neglected the system and I may not have flushed it enough
2. there seems to be an oily sheen over it... I immediately looked into the oil cap and thankfully no milky signs

The second part kind of concerns me. Should I just do a flush again and see where it takes me? Please tell me the head gasket isn't knocking on heavens gates.

Thanks!
Instead of putting a "cute" location in your settings, it might be nice if you said where you are really from. For instance, I have a tester for checking the headgasket for leaks, but since I don't know where you are, I won't offer.

The oily sheen in the coolant is more likely to be from the tranny cooler than the head. Check the tranny for frothy white fluid.

Some people prefer not to broadcast their location to every passerby on the internet old_man.

Some people prefer not to broadcast their location to every passerby on the internet old_man.

I wonder why? LOL

Back