• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 GM column rebuild

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Of all the things I have done to the 6 XJ's/MJ's I have owned, I have never had to rebuild a steering column.

My 1990 was just failed for the VA state safety inspection due to the steering column play in the tilt.

I need sources for parts and parts diagrams before I tear into it to see what I might need.

Any sources/links appreciated!

I have fully restored this XJ since it was my dads, it has a lot of meaning. I want to keep it going for a long time to come.

IMG_20141122_083153_152.jpg

It's not that hard to do. You tube will help. I ended just getting a JY column after it developed play a second time

That is the top thread for rebuild the steering columns. Been there many times on my five jeeps. Next time I may just replace everything on the way out, instead of one part at a time. Ignition key lock, turn signal switch, clean the horn contacts, ignition switch, maybe a few others.

what happens is the bolts holding the column to the mechanism loosen
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

you have to disassemble it pretty far to get at them. Make sure you loctite them if you don't ever want to do it again. factory should have done it.

You need two special tools, steering wheel puller (get the right one) and the plate-spring(?) compressor tool to get the lock ring out (I forget what it is called, it is in the how to link).

I did the turn signal switch in about 90 minutes last week :)

A few things that made that job a whole lot easier for me. A folding table with a clean white cloth on top and laying the parts out in the order they were removed. Maybe a few pictures in critical spots.

A few things that made that job a whole lot easier for me. A folding table with a clean white cloth on top and laying the parts out in the order they were removed. Maybe a few pictures in critical spots.

Nah, that takes all the fun out of taking it apart 3 more times before you get everything together in the right order LOL. By then you can do one in your sleep LOL.:D

Nah, that takes all the fun out of taking it apart 3 more times before you get everything together in the right order LOL. By then you can do one in your sleep LOL.:D

LOL been there, done that.

well needless to say the one I have in storage is going to get rebuilt and loctite before it goes in the jeep.

everyone with a GM column has been here.

After working on the 2001 Saturn steering column and 2 of us spending 4 hours :shiver: trying to do a 60 second job of just getting the damn air bag off for starters (had to replace the massive master Multi function switch behind the steering wheel), I have no more complaints about the late 1980s GM columns on my jeeps LOL.

Back