• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diy full size spare mount for 31s

C.Ableman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys earlier today I modified the oem spare mount so I could have it hold my full size 31" spare.

It was pretty simple but it allowed me to clean up all my clutter in the back haha. Well to make it organized clutter.

I ended up going to the hardware store and bought a 10" threaded hook that fit the factory wing nut to replace the short factory bolt. I remounted the back seat latch about an inch forward and at a different angle so the seat would still latch while its up. I took off the lower part of the mount that bolts into the floor and re used one of the self tapping screw to hold the mount into the side so I didn't have to go buy some haha. That was for the top mounting hole. On the bottom I just moved the rear mounting hole to the front already threaded location. It took me awhile to figure out the right angle to get the seat to latch in place but I got it eventually. It only has two mounting bolts instead of the three holding it in place but nobody really sits back there so I'm not worried about it.

If anyone wants more photos I'll take some and post them later I didn't take any photos during the process so they'll all be after the fact.

Does your spare hit the latch? I have a spare 31x10.50x15 100% tread and it barely hits the back hatch interior panel. No problem with closing the hatch but it is rubbing up against it.

I have a 32x11.5r15 MTR/k, using the same type of threaded hook. Mine only fits if I leave the driver side on the seat unlatched, it needs another half inch or so. I was gonna do the same thing as here http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm but haven't got around to it yet.

I use one of my wheel chocks to hold it forward so it doesn't rattle around. Has worked fine for 2 years.

Does your spare hit the latch? I have a spare 31x10.50x15 100% tread and it barely hits the back hatch interior panel. No problem with closing the hatch but it is rubbing up against it.

I didn't check when I finished. It closed really easily so I was fine with it. It closes better now than it did when I just had the spare laying flat on the floor. I'll check when I head back outside and I'll let you know.

I have a 32x11.5r15 MTR/k, using the same type of threaded hook. Mine only fits if I leave the driver side on the seat unlatched, it needs another half inch or so. I was gonna do the same thing as here http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm but haven't got around to it yet.

I use one of my wheel chocks to hold it forward so it doesn't rattle around. Has worked fine for 2 years.

That's pretty much exactly what I did just without making a plate that pushes the seat latch forward. I also didn't have to move my sound bar at all. But my tire is smaller so I'm sure that's why.

I currently run 295/75/16 KO2s on my rig ( 33+ " x 11.50") and have a 33 x 10.50 x 15 spare mounted in the stock-ish position, which is deflated and ratchet-strapped around the middle, so that it clears both the seat and the hatch. Obviously, to run this config, one needs to have an on-board air source to i, which I do.
8+ years of owning this rig, I still have yet to need the spare.....knock on rubber.

Back