• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke a transmission crossmember bolt

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing my transmission mount and, of course, the last crossmember bolt breaks. I've tried drilling it, applying heat, creating a notch and trying to punch it out with a screwdriver and hammer, and lastly, an extractor...which broke off inside of the drilled out bolt.

I'm at a loss at this point. Any help? My next option is to take it to a shop and have them cut a notch in the frame, hammer the nut out, weld a new nut, and weld the frame back up...

Thanks for any advice.

01 XJ, Aw4, NP231

I did the exact same thing about a month ago, and had the same results when trying to get it out... Finally, I drilled another hole and fished a nut in (one with a shoulder) with some safety wire, and zipped it up with an impact. The mount is new, so I don't plan on removing it anytime soon but the downside is if I do, Ill have to cut it.

Use better drill bits. Drill through with a smaller bit and then the final size. I drilled one out and tapped it to 1/2-13.

I appreciate the comments. Even with good cobalt drill bits, I couldn't get through the snapped-off easy-out (eff those things by the way!). I'm just taking it to a shop tomorrow...oh well.

For future reference, ez outs only work on bolts that have snapped from fatigue. If you snap a bolt due rust seizing, an easy out will only make it worse.

You could try coming down through the floor and twisting off the weld nut, I prefer that to cutting holes into the frame rail.

Mine was really rotted, so I had to replace it.. Broken bolts but the nuts came off ok. I drilled through the bolts and tapped them with a 3/8 tap and it worked good. The only issue was breaking bits and having to drill them out. On one side it was harder. I had to get an expert dice 5/16 bit to break through the broken bit in there.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Bummer.
A die grinder w/ a carbide burr would remove the broken off tool steel easy out.
Then drill out the nut in the frame and install a insert nut.
Mcmaster Carr sells a "insert nut kit" pn 95585A300.
Drill the cross member to fit the insert nut size.
I'm going to use this kit for my broken rear bump stop bolts.
Best luck!

I would have done a nut insert last. If i couldn't tap the hole in the bolt I would have drilled it out entirely and then used the same technique that's used to mount the receiver hitch.. Pull some bolts into the frame rail with wire and bolt them in that way. That would be the strongest option.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Whoops the kit I referenced only goes to 1/4-20.
Anyway keywords "rivet nut inserts", on Mcmasters web site.
Easy out is to hard to drill through, op says he broke one off in the bolt.
The mig wire technique works good, but removal is difficult.

$135 from the shop to fix, which included them breaking 3 drill bits in the process. Oh well.

I hope this thread is a lesson to some. DO NOT even consider easy-outs. If you break one of the frame bolts, spend the money on quality cobalt drill bits, take your time and drill the rest of the bolt out, and re-tap the hole. When I started the job, the drilling was going fine (albeit very slowly) for me, but I somewhat lost my patience and thought the easy-out would be a quicker fix. I was wrong :D.

Back