• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help ID-ing an axle

Creeper2012

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm doing an axle swap for a guy and I talked him into getting a Dana 44 on craigslist. He brings me a D44, but this one's different...

I'm pretty sure it IS, indeed, a 44 because I had a diff gasket laying around from rebuilding the one in my XJ and it matches this one perfectly...

What I'm confused about is it's a rear axle (centered diff) with a flange-style yoke. It's also a 6-lug (6 on 5.5) with disc brakes and bracketry for 4-link suspension. I haven't stuck a magnet to it yet, but the pumpkin looks like steel and the diff cover is most definitely aluminum (ribbed for cooling).

Now here's the problem...
It's missing the piece that adapts the flange to a 1310 u-joint. I pulled it so I could do a pinion shaft spline count and I came up with 29. I've searched and searched and searched and all I can find are 26-spline yokes for D44's. I did find a couple of 28-spliners on Rock Auto, but the stock photos with them don't include the flange-style yoke, so I'm a little iffy there. The guy who brought me the axle DID find a 29-spline "Dana 44-HD, 60 & 70" yoke from Yukon, but I can't find anything to confirm that it's what we need.

Anybody know what this axle is, where it came from, and/or what I can do to bolt a 1310 u-joint to it?

I've considered drilling the flange for u-bolts, but I'd like to do it "the right way" if I can help it. Thanks in advance!!

Factory discs and 4 link suspension?

Isuzu D44, maybe? Idk what their bolt pattern is.

You should be able to easily find a flange adapter to fit there. 8.8's are the same way. What's the bolt pattern on the flange?

Factory discs and 4 link suspension?

Isuzu D44, maybe? Idk what their bolt pattern is.

You should be able to easily find a flange adapter to fit there. 8.8's are the same way. What's the bolt pattern on the flange?

4-bolt flange... measures 3-3/4" center-to-center. Looks like about a 3/8" hole, no threads.

Back