• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 AMP Grand Cherokee Alternator

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the redundancy but I did search but couldn't get a clear answer.:anon:

I have a 91 Xj with 4.0L and I just purchased a 136 amp alternator from a 98 Grand Cherokee. So far I read I would have to upgrade my main wires because of the higher volume of amperage. I've also read you have to upgrade the fusible link at the PDC while doing this mod. Where could I go about getting a 150 ANL fuse that will fit my 1991 PDC. Is there a specific fuse I'm looking for? Also, would I have to change the 60 Amp fuse inside the PDC in conjunction with changing the fusible link? Thanks in advanced. :cheers:

If you are not running any add on high amp draw electrics then you can get by without doing the wire upgrade at this point. It is not the best way to go about it but it will work. Once you start adding a winch, off road lights, big stereo amp, etc. the wire upgrade will be necessary. The 150 ANL fuse won't be a direct bolt in but it only takes some minor adjustments to make it fit. They are available online or in some auto parts stores. Maybe someone else here has found a direct replacement, I haven't. The 60 amp in the box should be fine like it is.

There used to be a company that made the wires but I think they stopped a year ago. Inline fuse between the power control center and the battery is a good idea. The bracket will have to be ground down a bit and you might have to change the connection on the alternator depending on which you have. Its an easy job and tons of write ups. Think 4 or 5 screws. Hardest thing was grinding down the stupid bracket and running wires. If I remember I'll get the link for the L shaped bracket for the power center. Makes things look clean and gives peace of mind.

If you are not running any add on high amp draw electrics then you can get by without doing the wire upgrade at this point. It is not the best way to go about it but it will work. Once you start adding a winch, off road lights, big stereo amp, etc. the wire upgrade will be necessary. The 150 ANL fuse won't be a direct bolt in but it only takes some minor adjustments to make it fit. They are available online or in some auto parts stores. Maybe someone else here has found a direct replacement, I haven't. The 60 amp in the box should be fine like it is.

No heavy draw accessories yet.

There used to be a company that made the wires but I think they stopped a year ago. Inline fuse between the power control center and the battery is a good idea. The bracket will have to be ground down a bit and you might have to change the connection on the alternator depending on which you have. Its an easy job and tons of write ups. Think 4 or 5 screws. Hardest thing was grinding down the stupid bracket and running wires. If I remember I'll get the link for the L shaped bracket for the power center. Makes things look clean and gives peace of mind.

Thanks for the insight. All of the write ups were for 97+ Xjs. 91-2000 should be the same electrical set up?

Back