• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Time 4WD, Roof Console, And Body Molding Questions

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ Classic

I bought it new, I use it strictly as a daily driver, and I absolutely love it.

It's gotten long in the tooth, and things are starting to go wrong. Tires are about shot, rearend needs a rebuild, interior is really beat up, etc. It also got sideswiped awhile back, and while the doors on that side still work, it'd take a good bit of bodywork to fix it.

I've been thinking of just picking up a low-mileage creampuff and starting fresh. As I look, a couple of questions have come up:

1. Full-time 4WD: One of the things I love about my XJ is how good it is in bad weather. The key to that is the "Full Time 4WD" feature. I didn't realize how rare it is. I'm looking at a 2001 XJ that I kinda like. It doesn't have the Full Time 4WD, though. Could I swap my transfer case over? If so, what is involved? I'd want the Full Time 4WD light in the dash to work, too.

2. Roof Console: I also really like my overhead console. Do non-overhead console XJs have the mounting points and wiring to mount a console?

3. Body moldings and Bumper Ends: Looking at later models, I see some have body-colored side moldings and bumper ends, and some don't. I really prefer the body-colored moldings and bumper ends. Is this simply a matter of painting them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Full time 4wd is because of the Transfercase. Most xj's come with the np231 part-time only. Full-time means you have a np242. I think it's a bolt in deal if you get the harness. If not it's one or two wires. You have to check input spline count.

The roof console will need the brackets from the donor car. And a partial harness. There are numerous plugs under your passenger kick panel. The doner car should have the harness as well. Unless you get specifically an Xj computer, not all functions will work. A console from a 91-95 Dodge Chrysler or Plymouth is the same console ,just change the rear panel, but the computer will not work correctly. You can install a zj computer and body control module and get one to work. Zj consoles will not match the headliner right.

97+ mouldings I have no idea. I have a 94.

I have a non-OHC equipped 2001 and it does not have harnesses under the headliner for one.

The color matched flares and bumper caps, to my knowledge, were mostly on the special editions - like the Limited and Anniversary editions. Mine is a 60th Anniversary package and had color matched trim.

I think you'll find very significant differences between 96 and 01 models. The bumper design changed, for one thing. I think there are also likely to be differences in the electronics and wiring harnesses, so some things that might be plug-in compatible with the same year will not be.

The transfer case may be relatively simple, but even that may depend on what part of the 96 model year you have. 96 is an oddball year, in which some features (including body style and steering column) were held over from previous years, and others updated (such as engine computer and injectors) and some, I believe, changed mid-year. The changes may include the drive train and slip yoke on the transfer case, and the fuel tank.

Not to be discouraging, but make sure you look very carefully at what you're expecting.

I have owned 3 XJ's with the NP242 TC and now it is a requirement. Where it really shines is in the rain. The ZJ I owned also had it.

The body style changed in 1997 with the steel hatch and a completely different front header. Consequently the bumpers are different. Some have acquired the 97-2001 front end parts and replaced the old parts. Creates a kind of FrankenJeep.

The other topics you bring up are already addressed.

If I were to purchase yet another xj, it would be a 99. Either a Limited or Classic, the upper end trim levels, preferably with Up Country package. My 98 is such an animal and I think it is the best I have owned. My daughter has it now.

I think it was in 2000 that the front axle was changed to a low pinion, which is why I would shy away from the last two years despite the improved ignition system. The alternative would be to swap the axle to a high pinion.

I have owned 3 XJ's with the NP242 TC and now it is a requirement. Where it really shines is in the rain. The ZJ I owned also had it.

This should probably be a new topic, but wanted it to get to someone else who has owned multiple vehicles with the NP242.

I also make sure my XJ comes equipped with the 242. I've had 89, 91, 94 and currently a 98. I never noticed more than a very slight (almost unnoticeable) difference in t-case noise from 2WD to Full Time 4WD. Has that been your experience? Mine started to put out a whine very similar to Part Time High 4WD when in Full Time 4WD. The planetary was going out. I had a reman put in and just my had my Woods SYE swapped into it, but its still making the whine. Does that seem right to you?

Anyone else with a 242 hear a very noticeable whine when in Full Time?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

This should probably be a new topic, but wanted it to get to someone else who has owned multiple vehicles with the NP242.

I also make sure my XJ comes equipped with the 242. I've had 89, 91, 94 and currently a 98. I never noticed more than a very slight (almost unnoticeable) difference in t-case noise from 2WD to Full Time 4WD. Has that been your experience? Mine started to put out a whine very similar to Part Time High 4WD when in Full Time 4WD. The planetary was going out. I had a reman put in and just my had my Woods SYE swapped into it, but its still making the whine. Does that seem right to you?

Anyone else with a 242 hear a very noticeable whine when in Full Time?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

As I said in the first post in this thread, I've owned my Jeep since 1996. It has 150,000 miles on it.

This past winter, for the first time, ever, I noticed a very slight whine when I put it in Full Time 4WD. It's never made any noise at all before.

Thanks ehall. This is crazy. On my four XJs all were quiet until the last one got noisy. I had it rebuilt and it was still noisy so I did the reman...it's noisy. I had one with the TeraLow mod and it was quiet in Full Time. And most of them spent much of the winter in Full Time. I don't get it.

Back