• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Dampner went south what all can I fix with it off?

Raine883

NAXJA Forum User
So heres the run down I,ve got 97 2wd government model 4.0 automatic with 180kish miles(new gauge cluster). My harmonic dampner separated yesterday and i'm coming up on a 3 day weekend so it's time for some maintenance. I just want to make sure I've got everything I can fix on hand while i'm in there.

Here are the parts ive got on hand or had over-nighted
-Napa harmonic dampner
-felpro lower conversion set(going to replace oil pan and front rear seals)
-Cloyes timing set
-napa water pump
-stant thermostat
-upper lower rad hoses
-radiator
-gates belt
-gates tensioner

I'm not replacing my oil pump or bearings this time around since i'm still getting 25 psi at idle and 45 on highway, but am I missing anything else or does this about cover it? Thanks in advance.

Maybe a good time to change your valve cover gasket. If it's leaking anyway. Also, don't forget the hose clamps and radiator cap. Antifreeze.

Oil and filter. Lol. Now I'm just being a smart ass. Good luck.

Valve cover gasket has been changed, everything else I've got on hand. I bought a bulk pack of filters off Rock auto and have about 5 gallons of oil on hand.

I replaced the trans lines and cooler when a tree found itself in the highway, and I in turn found it in my grill. I think I'm pretty well covered, I just wanted to make sure, I really don't want to pull the balancer again any time soon.

Pulling the harmonic balancer is such a small part compared to all the other work you're doing...

You might as well replace the fan clutch while you're in there.

Pulling the harmonic balancer is such a small part compared to all the other work you're doing...

You might as well replace the fan clutch while you're in there.

Thats true, but i depend on this thing to make it 112 miles a day to work in back, so when one thing breaks I fix everything in the general vicinity. It's a good thing too, I was able to lift my timing chain off without removing either sprocket. Not to mention it was leaking like mad out of the rear main and the front of the oil pan.

Back