• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Seat covers (97+), swap from passenger to driver?

neatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new to this forum. I've searched around for an answer but not seen this question asked before.

Has anyone tried to take an original seat cover(bottom only) and swap it from the passenger over to the driver? I looking to replace just the bottom portion of my tan leather driver seat. Found a good condition passenger seat online and wondering if I can just steal the bottom cover for my driver side bottom?

Thanks guys

That is an interesting question. Are you talking about just removing the seat cover or literally swapping the whole bottom? Seat cover and cushioning. My '00 drivers seat, cloth, has the usually splits that almost every XJ get over time on the side. If I could swap the bottoms that part would be hidden against the console on the passenger side. The part that is currently against the console, which is good, would be on the passenger side and showing. The former passenger side being good all around would be on the drivers side. Nice out of the box thinking. The lever for the incline appears to be part of the frame and not attached to the bottom, went and gave a quick look, so I am thinking that would not be an issue. I wish I thought of that when I had the seats out couple years ago when doing a thorough cleaning.

That is an interesting question. Are you talking about just removing the seat cover or literally swapping the whole bottom? Seat cover and cushioning. My '00 drivers seat, cloth, has the usually splits that almost every XJ get over time on the side. If I could swap the bottoms that part would be hidden against the console on the passenger side. The part that is currently against the console, which is good, would be on the passenger side and showing. The former passenger side being good all around would be on the drivers side. Nice out of the box thinking. The lever for the incline appears to be part of the frame and not attached to the bottom, went and gave a quick look, so I am thinking that would not be an issue. I wish I thought of that when I had the seats out couple years ago when doing a thorough cleaning.
Thanks for the reply... Mine is in the shop right now, so I couldn't look at it. From some pics though it looks like the the two sides of the seat bottom are different heights, not sure a passenger bottom would fit a driver seat.

I was only going to use the seat cover not the foam, and of course retaining the power base....but if I try this I will be buying a whole seat so I guess I'd have everything.

Thanks for the reply... Mine is in the shop right now, so I couldn't look at it. From some pics though it looks like the the two sides of the seat bottom are different heights, not sure a passenger bottom would fit a driver seat.

I was only going to use the seat cover not the foam, and of course retaining the power base....but if I try this I will be buying a whole seat so I guess I'd have everything.

I will have to look at the height. Thinking if that is so swapping just the cover probably would not work either cause there might be more cloth for thicker foam on the higher side. Would be nice to be able to do that though. Something to play with and research in the near future. Again thanks for the idea.

Back