• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will AGM battery harm alternator?

wyowalsh

NAXJA Forum User
my '99 XJ has a diehard platinum AGM battery, I did recently do an alternator
and the new one is doing fine. I realize the AGM batteries require a different charging setting on a battery charger but the older XJ just charges and really has no way to discern a regular battery from this type. I just dont want to overheat or stress my alternator.

has anyone heard of or experienced an alternator failure as a result of
"new" style Absorbed Glass Mat battery ? I have read where newer cars that are factory AGM battery also have software added on to deal with the minor differences.

I'm not complaining, I look at it like a bonus as this is a new $250.00 battery that was in my XJ when I bought it last fall !

I've run an optima red top in my 97 for years. I don't think that you'll have any problems.

Kinda thought so but just checking, I'd hate to fry my alternator.
years ago I had a old orange top optima literally for 8 or 9 years without issue
in a volvo 940 turbo, never an alternator or battery for nearly a decade
sold it at 220k. I have heard the optima quality is less than the original product.

I've run a couple over the years, Exide and now DieHard Platinum with no issues.

The question was valid. AGM batteries have different characteristics. In reality the question might better go the opposite direction. AGM batteries will work with a standard alternator but for longest life, they could use a different charging method.

Being an engineer with a specialty of charging all types of exotic batteries, I am surprised that no one has come up with a optimal method of charging for AGM.

Back