• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some electrical issues

MattPDX

NAXJA Forum User
So I have some electrical problems and I don't even know where to begin looking to fix them. First is the radio. H.u. Fuse is fine, the harness looks spectacular (one of the best I've seen) and the main fuse in the box is fine yet it doesn't work, hasn't in years. Next up is the window/lock switches. The only ones that work are the drivers panel. All the others are dead. Maybe a grounding issue? Bad relays?

So I have some electrical problems and I don't even know where to begin looking to fix them. First is the radio. H.u. Fuse is fine, the harness looks spectacular (one of the best I've seen) and the main fuse in the box is fine yet it doesn't work, hasn't in years. Next up is the window/lock switches. The only ones that work are the drivers panel. All the others are dead. Maybe a grounding issue? Bad relays?

year and specs of the xj?

Thanks guys. I haven't checked anything because of work but at least I have a starting point. Hopefully this weekend I cab make some progress on it.

Stereo is simple...3 wires...black,red and yellow create your stereo system. If those 3 are connected to coinciding colors on jeep side, and still no sound, then I'd look into speaker wires. Pull deck out, keep hooked up, and use a cheap, small shitty speaker, you know works,to run some tests. Turn stereo up a little, and just go down the line hooking color codes up to speaker looking for sound. If you get no sound from any of the sets of wires, then its the deck. Is deck factory or after market?
I know stereo stuff, so where ya located? Could always just bring it by real quick. Take me maybe 5 minutes to figure it out...

Stereo is just not getting power. I know a bit about stereos (certified installer although I haven't done it in like 10 years.) I'm in Cornelius and totally down for someone to look at out, I'll bring the beers.

Try and find the wiring diagrams. I found the full Factory service manual for my 2000 online and downloaded for free (don't remember where). If you had that, finding the problem would be much easier especially if it is a wire/harness problem. Fuses and relays would be the easy ones to figure out, the interconnecting wiring is harder. The manual will even show you all splices. That's how I found my front speaker problem (splices in the door).

Not really, only a few drops sneak in here and there but there was a lot of moisture in the door when I pulled the panel off.

Back