• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MANIFOLD GASKET QUESTION

1993 Red XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 with the 0331 head. I have a banks torque tube header on my jeep. Do I need to order a Banks gasket for the header or will the factory gasket work from the factory header. I figured the gasket might be different with the banks header.

factory gasket will work fine. The manifold is designed for the head so is the gasket. I will only use fel-pro or jeep gaskets on mine.

I have a 2001 with the 0331 head. I have a banks torque tube header on my jeep. Do I need to order a Banks gasket for the header or will the factory gasket work from the factory header. I figured the gasket might be different with the banks header.

I have a 2001 with a Banks header. I would definitely use the Banks gasket.
The stock gasket will not fit correctly.

Not trying to get off topic here but own a CA emissions '00. Experiencing a P0432 code. Come to find out that my Intake/Exhaust Manifold bolts were a little loose. Tightened them up hoping that is problem but not a much faith in it fixing the problem. Just so happens I need a new tail pipe and muffler anyway. Thinking I am going to need a new CAT. The OCD in me just says replace everything and call it a day. Not sure if I should keep it stock or maybe an upgrade or two. Or really go to town. Borla Cat Back exhaust, Magnaflow front and rear cats, and a header. Not many choices for the '00 and '01's. Wondering what you guys think of your Banks Headers?

Not trying to get off topic here but own a CA emissions '00. Experiencing a P0432 code.......Thinking I am going to need a new CAT.
Wondering what you guys think of your Banks Headers?

A P0432 indicate poor performance of the Bank 2 Mini-cat.
How many miles on your XJ? The code can be caused by old, malfunctioning O2 sensors.
The Banks header had little effect on the overall performance of the stock, 2001 engine, with restrictive 0331 head. The header ports are much larger than the 0331 exhaust ports. This enable the header to be used on all 4.0 heads.
Now changing to an older, well ported head, with a port matched manifold, will wake the engine up with a new attitude.

A P0432 indicate poor performance of the Bank 2 Mini-cat.
How many miles on your XJ? The code can be caused by old, malfunctioning O2 sensors.
The Banks header had little effect on the overall performance of the stock, 2001 engine, with restrictive 0331 head. The header ports are much larger than the 0331 exhaust ports. This enable the header to be used on all 4.0 heads.
Now changing to an older, well ported head, with a port matched manifold, will wake the engine up with a new attitude.

Aware of what a P0432 code could be if not a cat. Funny thing is I swapped out all the O2 sensors, justified it by thinking they were all original, had 150K on them and needed to go. Also upgraded to 4 hole injectors. The code came up after this work was done. Best I can tell all the new O2 sensors, NTK's by the way, are operating fine. Fuel trims seem to be within acceptable parameters. As I said earlier see if the loose exhaust bolt is causing this. Doubt it highly. Little confused by the statement about the Banks Header matching the 0331 head and being made for other years. The Banks Header I have been looking, see below, at is only for the '00 and '01. You can tell by the header having two outlets. '00's and '01's having front and back exhaust manifold going into the dual cat set up on CA emissions or a similar looking pipe without the cats for the Federal Emissions. This is for a manufacture date after 1/00. '99 and down is a one piece exhaust manifold. Really was just interested what you guys thought of them in case I need to replace the cat. Just trying to figure out how far I want to go with this.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=COfb5LvC7ckCFdCPHwodh38CPA

Little confused by the statement about the Banks Header matching the 0331 head and being made for other years.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=COfb5LvC7ckCFdCPHwodh38CPA

Sorry, I screwed that up. That is header I'm running.
The Banks header, for the Cali 2000-2001 only fits using the two mini-cats.
It does allow using any 4.0 head, nice is you have a cracked 0331 head or want better flowing older head.
I will repeat, there is little to be gained running the Banks on a stock engine, the benefit just isn't worth the near $500 cost unless internal engine work has been done.

Sorry, I screwed that up. That is header I'm running.
The Banks header, for the Cali 2000-2001 only fits using the two mini-cats.
It does allow using any 4.0 head, nice is you have a cracked 0331 head or want better flowing older head.
I will repeat, there is little to be gained running the Banks on a stock engine, the benefit just isn't worth the near $500 cost unless internal engine work has been done.

Just really wondering about the quality and longevity of it. Some of my research seems to indicate that they crack pretty quickly. I am not really looking for any increase in performance it is more of if I do have to replace my cat how nuts should I go. I also need a new muffler and tailpipe. At least the timing is good if I do need a new cat. I am one those just say screw it, fix everything, and with a little luck never deal with it again. Or in the case of an exhaust for a very long time. So if I need a new cat leave the exhaust manifolds alone and replace everything from the front cat back? Then do I just use Walker parts or maybe upgrade cats (Magnaflow maybe), muffler and tailpipe (thinking Borla)? And if I do upgrade the cats and exhaust go for a Banks Header? Money is not really an issue, believe me not made of it, neither is performance, even though an improvement in MPG would be nice, just want to fix it and pretty much forget about it. Just trying to get some feed back on aftermarket exhaust in case I do decide to go to town on the exhaust. Again all this is only if it turns out I do need a new cat. If I don't then I just have to decide on Borla or Walker muffler and tailpipe. By the way. Daily driver (I am older now and my off-roading days are over. Still does not mean I won't own a Jeep though), all stock except for a 4 hole injector upgrade, and I swapped out my diff gear oil for synthetic.

Last edited:
While cracking of headers is common in older XJs, that use a one piece exhaust header, I have never heard of the two piece Banks Torque Tubes header having this issue. They look to be well built.
Just don't expect much of a performance with the stock head. I felt next to no difference when using the a stock 0331 head. It did pull at little harder at high RPMs but nothing extra at low RPMS.
The problem is that the Banks header has oversize ports, able to cover the bigger exhaust ports on the 630 and 7120 heads.
Exhaust dumping into a oversize port lowers the exhaust velocity, not the right approach to producing power over a wide range.

The ability to adapt the later model exhaust and mini-cats to one of the better flowing, older heads is the Banks major advantage.
If you do not plan on upgrading the heads, stay with the stock manifolds and be $500 richer.
Looking at my old, cast iron manifolds, they don't look that restrictive, A few hours spent with a die grinder, smoothing the interior and port matching may yield better results.

Yeah, the $500 richer sounds nice. More concerned up reliability then performance. Kinda just want to replace everything, again if it turns out I need a new cat, and call it a day. I am the well I am pretty much here might as well replace the _______ too type. You fill in the blank. Thanks for your opinion on the Headers themselves. Please forgive my ignorance. Thing that still confuses me is this statement:

The problem is that the Banks header has oversize ports, able to cover the bigger exhaust ports on the 630 and 7120 heads.

At this link for the header:

It says it fits these vehicles:

00-01 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
00-01 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ)
00-06 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (TJ)

Now I am under the impression that the 7120 head is up to '95.
The 0630 is '96 to '98 some '99's.
The 0331 is some '99's, '00, and '01.
With the TUPY stamping, still a 0331 head, until they stopped making the 4.0 from '02 and up.
The Banks header does not even seem to be for any of the older 4.0's that would have the 7120 and 0630 head. Now I kinda understand your exhaust dumping into a oversize port lowers the exhaust velocity, not the right approach to producing power over a wide range statement but can't wrap my head around why this would apply here because none of the older Jeeps with those heads are listed. And if does not fit properly because the header ports are bigger then the exhaust ports on the block to me it means it doesn't fit right and is not really made for the 0331 head. If that is the case then I do not want one.

Yeah, the $500 richer sounds nice. More concerned up reliability then performance. Kinda just want to replace everything, again if it turns out I need a new cat, and call it a day. I am the well I am pretty much here might as well replace the _______ too type. You fill in the blank. Thanks for your opinion on the Headers themselves. Please forgive my ignorance. Thing that still confuses me is this statement:

At this link for the header:

It says it fits these vehicles:

00-01 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
00-01 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ)
00-06 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (TJ)

Now I am under the impression that the 7120 head is up to '95.
The 0630 is '96 to '98 some '99's.
The 0331 is some '99's, '00, and '01.
With the TUPY stamping, still a 0331 head, until they stopped making the 4.0 from '02 and up.
The Banks header does not even seem to be for any of the older 4.0's that would have the 7120 and 0630 head. Now I kinda understand your exhaust dumping into a oversize port lowers the exhaust velocity, not the right approach to producing power over a wide range statement but can't wrap my head around why this would apply here because none of the older Jeeps with those heads are listed. And if does not fit properly because the header ports are bigger then the exhaust ports on the head to me it means it doesn't fit right and is not really made for the 0331 head. If that is the case then I do not want one.

Back