• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oregon laws

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
can you guys fill me in on oregon laws?
i'll be moving up in a couple months.
two of my xj's have no flairs or mudflaps.
one has full hydro steering.
what do i need to de to keep from making donations to the policeman's ball? :huh:

Steering should be fine, where your at I don't really think the flaps or flares matter but redjeep2.0 can fill you in on the technicalities of the flares

Mud flaps are required if the bottom of the back bumper is more than 27 inches off the ground and all tire tread is supposed to be covered by flares. I haven't had any problems with mine and I'm right at 27 in the rear and my tires stick out about an inch on both sides. I see a ton of other trucks around that are taller and have tires sticking out a lot more so I don't think it's really a huge deal.. may depend on where in oregon though.

This is where I got the info.
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Pages/Vehicle-Equipment.aspx

We just had a police officer go through the rules and quote the various legal code on this on Northwest Jeepers a month ago. I can't remember it all, but I believe it went like this:

Mud flaps *or* flares are required at 27"+.

Flares are required if any tread is showing.

Full hydro steering is not legal on the street.

Flap or flair

If you have a flap you don't need flair

If you have a flair and you have more then 27" of tire showing out back you need a flap.

Gresham PD hates me, I haven't paid a flat ticket yet

There are DOT approved beadlocks ... I did a bit of searching once and one company actually goes through the process of certifying them, but they were crazy expensive ($500 each?!). So, I say just use a Dremel and put DOT on them =) Plus, with all the fake beadlocks out there on the street now, do the police even check/care now?

I'll need to switch to mud flaps someday. I haven't replaced my bushwackers yet because I want to get an exocage built that will wrap the tube around the fenders to make flares, but I know some angry gresham cop will just shit on my day with a ticket unless I run some flares on it. Flares are ugly as shit though.

I got pulled over in my jeep and the officer didn't say anything about my beadlocks

Back