• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Xj: How to Remove the Front Fenders?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
Late season rust prevention occurring...

Is this as simple as removing every fastener I see? I need to remove them both to get at some rust at the mating surface between the wheel and the front door and do not know if body caulk or some other seam sealer will prevent easy removal.

Let me know.

It has been a while since I did this but open the doors and find the screws there. Open the hood and remove the screws down the top of the fender.

IIRC you will also need to remove the headlights, turn signals and the plastic framework.

There are no magic incantations involved.

You may also need to remove the fender inner plastic mud shield. I haven't had one for the last 15 years, so I don't remember much about that.

pull header panel
get the screws under the door
get the little torx bugger in the pinch seam.
the inner fender bits are attached as well and so is the front air dam if you've still got it. it's attached to the flare.
I take the ones under the hood out last, as they're the easiest to get at to remove while keeping the fender from falling off.

Note that there is also a small metal brace that connects between a point on the body to one of the mounting bolts on the fender flares. It should be the center bolt and it has to be removed as well.
HTH

Back