• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New water pump = instant overheating.

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
My '86 2.5L xj has been down since June for misc work. I got her going again tonight, with a new water pump, reverted from header back to stock exhaust manifold, etc.
She overheated as soon as the motor heated up (she's never overheated.) So I installed a new thermostat, same issue. The lower hose (should be suction, yes?) heats up first, which seems opposite to me. Then the temp goes through the roof and I have to turn her off (dummy light and my aftermarket gauge both show the rapid rise in temp; it's tapped off of the spare hole in my thermostat housing.)
What gives? Am I missing something really obvious??

BTW, I've long gotten rid of the the fan clutch in lieu of a large electric fan and shroud, which have worked on a manual switch flawless for years.

I just tried a new radiator cap, to no avail.
Again, the lower hose gets real hot, and the top does not. The thermo housing does get hot, however. Real hot. I'm really confused now, and was supposed to be driving this to work in the the morning (like 4 hours from now.)

It sure seems to me like the water pump is running in reverse, however that could even be possible. It appears to be centrifugal, and would pressurize the engine regardless of orientation.
Ideas?

Suspect wrong rotation water pump...

Bingo on the rotation of the water pump. I ran across this in 1999.

If you didn't turn the old pump in as a core, pull the new one off and compare the direction the impeller blades are facing. As stated previously, also check to make sure you routed the belt around the pulley the correct way.

Bingo, fellas. Wrong pump impeller orientation. The Napa part # stated it was for V-belt. I bought the serpentine model and all is well. Even though my rig is v-belt. Odd.
That wasted several hours of my life, and some hair that I need to keep ;)
Thanks.

Back