• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Synchronizer Install

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I had a loud knocking coming from it a week ago. So, I grabbed a new one. I figured it would be a pretty simple replacement so I removed the top on the old one, marked it, removed it, dropped in the new one and made sure that that the top wheel was in the exact same spot as the old one and tightened it all down. Motor started right up and I drove it to the gas station and back.

I'm troubleshooting an issue I made a different post on related to a weird screeching sound and that had me thinking that it could be related, or at bare minimum maybe I did something wrong. So, I went on google and I found a bunch of videos of people doing things like spinning pulleys to put the motor in an "up stroke" position before installing it, people putting on different alignment caps, etc. So, now I'm wondering ... if I put this thing in the wrong way, what are possible effects? How do I know I'm running ok (no CEL's or codes, I checked)? And, did I miss any crucial steps .. like, should I have shoved grease somewhere, spun around in circles doing a rain dance before tightening down the last screw, etc?

Thanks

Ok, ignore the first post as I stepped past that step now that I didn't have any replies.

So, what I did is attempt to set the motor to TDC compression. So, I removed the coil pack, cyl #1 spark plug, and cranked the motor a few times around until I was sure I had the piston in cyl #1 at TDC (visual inspection through the hole).

Then, I put in the new oil pressure drive so the plug is parallel with the motor. Every single picture in every FSM/Guide/Website I've found had the center part dial in a slightly different position so I made sure it went in that way and then rotated the housing a bit.

Anyway, got it all back together and now I have a knock. And the timing's off. Now, I either didn't get the coil rail on right so a plug isn't firing, or the timing's really off.

So, what I did is loosen up the bolt on the oil pressure drive and twist it a bit while the motor was running to see what would happen. I figured it was kind of like a distributor so why not? Anyway, twist to the left and the motor does, twist to the right and nothing changes. The motor also hesitates now under throttle.

I'll check the plugs/coil pack when I have time later this week, but if anyone has any other suggestions for things to try while I'm under the hood please let me know as I really appreciate it.

Base timing is set by locating TDC and correctly installing the distributor or the cam sensor assembly. The PCM makes all further adjustments to the timing, twisting the distributor or cam sensor assembly does nothing.

I would follow the Jeep Factory Service Manual instructions.

The problem is the replacement oil drive doesn't have the pin hole for alignment. So you can only do it visually.

Back