• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mud flaps and tire width

thesteveyo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody. My name is Steve and I'm VERY close to finally moving home to Oregon after six long years in the navy. The only vehicle I owned in Oregon was a 1980 Ford Fiesta, so I'm not familiar with Oregon's requirements for mudflaps and tire width. Assuming there is a law, how are the police on enforcing these things, and what are the tickets like?

Hey everybody. My name is Steve and I'm VERY close to finally moving home to Oregon after six long years in the navy. The only vehicle I owned in Oregon was a 1980 Ford Fiesta, so I'm not familiar with Oregon's requirements for mudflaps and tire width. Assuming there is a law, how are the police on enforcing these things, and what are the tickets like?

http://www.liftlaws.com/oregon_lift_laws.htm

looks a ton easier to follow than WA laws

6) Does my vehicle need mud flaps/mud guards?

Answer: Non commercial vehicles (under 8,000 lbs.) need fenders or mud guards (mud flaps) within 27 inches of the pavement behind the tire. Commercial vehicles need fenders or mudguards (mud flaps) within 10 inches behind all wheels. (ORS 815.180)

Fenders and mud guards (mud flaps) must cover the entire tread width of the tire(s). (ORS 815.180)

Do you see the OR?

If you have flaps you don't need flares

I have had 3 tickets under the ORS 815-180 for not having a flare
Get to court and the judge throws it out do to the "or"

As long as your flap is less then 27inch from the ground and covering all of the thread from the rear you are in the clear.

Note!! Do not argue with the officer on the side of the road he will just give you a ticket for something else (Iv done this)

Take your ticket and take picks of your jeep have them printed out for the judge to keep and make the officer look like a fool

Every time I have done this the office has stormed out of the court room and I get in my jeep and drive right by him at the court house

Damn nick, that would have been nice to know! I used to get hassled all the time! That's actually why I put the stupid expensive Rustys fenders on my 98.....

Good info!

Good stuff. Thanks a lot for pointing out the "or". That's definitely a big or. Imagine how pumped I am to finally be able to hit up Burgerville again. I'll put up with DEQ for Burgerville.

I'm very stupid, so I just need to clarify on the "or"....If I have flares, I do not need mudflaps, correct?

My job transfers us to Oregon within the next few weeks, and I just don't want to get hassled for only having flares and not flaps. The thought of flaps pains me.

Jim

You'll probably get hassled if you do one, you won't get a ticket(if you do it won't stick), if you don't want to be hassled as much get both.

I'm very stupid, so I just need to clarify on the "or"....If I have flares, I do not need mudflaps, correct?

My job transfers us to Oregon within the next few weeks, and I just don't want to get hassled for only having flares and not flaps. The thought of flaps pains me.

Jim

No, if you have flaps you don't need flares.

If your tires stick out past your fenders you need Flairs because if from the ground up you have 27 inches of tire showing you need a flap.
That's where the "or" comes in

If you have a flap you don't need a flare.
The whole point is that you do not have more then 27inchs of rubber showing out the back.

No, if you have flaps you don't need flares.

If your tires stick out past your fenders you need Flairs because if from the ground up you have 27 inches of tire showing you need a flap.
That's where the "or" comes in

If you have a flap you don't need a flare.
The whole point is that you do not have more then 27inchs of rubber showing out the back.

Well damn...Sounds like I'm going to have to get flaps.

Do you guys have any suggestions for quick release flaps that'll fit a cut n' fold? My tire carrier extends beneath the cut n' fold, but I only used 3"x3" tubing so not a ton of width there.

Thanks,
Jim

I used to have (on my red jeep) 1inch OD tube to mount the flap
And 1inch ID tube to weld to the jeep. About 3 inches long for each side.
Slide it in its self
Drill a hole
put a quick pin in it.

Back