• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft question

kc_eiland

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything helpful so I thought I'd ask.

2000, 4.0 auto w/231, stock front drive shaft.

On the front drive shaft, the area where it collapses/extends, I can move that up and down and it makes a "clunk" noise. I'd say it moved 1/8-1/4" vertically. I know that it's a problem, but is this repairable or do I have to replace the whole front DS?

When rotating the DS left/right, I only have about 1/4-1/2" rotation, so no problems there, its just vertical movement at the collapse area.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. Rear DS is solid.

Hold both ends of the driveshaft and see how much movement is between them. 1/8" is not that surprising since the transfer case end may be the source. You may try removing the front of the shaft at the pinion and purge all the old grease from the slip joint and repeat the test. If the splines are worn, a junk yard driveshaft is probably cheaper.

Hold both ends of the driveshaft and see how much movement is between them. 1/8" is not that surprising since the transfer case end may be the source. You may try removing the front of the shaft at the pinion and purge all the old grease from the slip joint and repeat the test. If the splines are worn, a junk yard driveshaft is probably cheaper.

At the collapse area, it seems like it kinda dips down about 1/8"... then when I push it up, it sort of "clunks" and looks straight again. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks on my eyes or what.

I don't think it the pinion as its nice and solid, quiet, not leaking, etc... and the transfer case was just rebuilt last week due to a loose chain. Its nice and solid now as well.

IF it can be rebuilt for cheap, then cool.... if not, Tom Woods time.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I would check out Adams as they are local to you. Or get a good used one. Many in the JY are good.

Back