• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering and brake conversion

jeepxj24

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. I know there are numerous threads on the Internet and I know that some people here have done them, but I was wondering if there was any problem that any of you guys might have encountered throughout the project. I am currently collecting parts for the build and about to get some the tie rod and track bar made. Any help through out or if there are any build threads on here that you know I would love to see those too.. first big project I've really done. Thanks guys.

The only real problem You may run into is if you don't get your track bar and drag link as close to parallel as possible,and also as close to the same length as possible to avoid bumpsteer and the suspension can cycle evenly unless of course you keep it UTK.The brakes make it worth the swap and gives you the opportunity for WAY better steering.Look up Xjeeper's build on here he has a great writeup.

I did it on my rig, and have loved it. I have a little bit of info on my build. Xjeeper does have a good write up. Here

Basically the only real difference people do is the rotor selection. Some buy explorer sport-trac rotors because they are very close to the WJ rotor, but have the 5-4.5 bolt pattern. The problem with these rotors is you will have spacing issues getting the rotor centered in the caliper bracket, and will require spacers. If you use an original Akebono wj rotor and redrill the rotor to match 5-4.5 you won't have spacing issues.

Also, you'll want to use later model unit bearings (hubs). I used 2003 TJ bearings, but 00-01 Xj bearings work too.

Use heim on the trac bar. I am currently using JJ and am on my third set of bushings.. Oh and its only been installed a year.. (one froad trip, DD.)

Might as well do the WJ brakes at the same time and oh Yea do the tie rod flip.. In fact go to the junk yard. Pick a d30, gear it proper. Redo all joints, truss it, weld the C's, make sure its strait, new u joints and unit bearings and aussie locked with new 4.56 pumpkin brains. Bust your patience trying to figure out the track bar axle mount. Problems with TR flip bushings wallowing out.

Go get yourself a D44..... and save probably $600+.. And I mean EVERYONE!!! asked me why i didn't.

Frikin itch what is that........ 35's say "Hi."

Yea I have already have a hp 30 geared to 4.88, locked, and rebuilt. I have the knuckles and brakes off a gc for $50 and I'm starting to gather all of the rest of the parts. The knuckles already have the flip welded in as the guy had done it to his gc first which helps. Thanks guys!

I have thought about doing a 44 and I might later down the road, but at the moment this would be cheaper and easier for me. I like the 30. It's nice because there are so many trail spares that I can find in the jy, but still have yet to break a shaft out on the trail.
I have friends in many places who are going to be helping with getting this done in a day or weekend.

I still had to space the wj caliper a 1/4" with wj rotors redrilled. There's tons of variables. Just be prepared to spend a day. Possibly two if you have issues.

I still had to space the wj caliper a 1/4" with wj rotors redrilled. There's tons of variables. Just be prepared to spend a day. Possibly two if you have issues.

What unit bearing did you use?

Yea I have already have a hp 30 geared to 4.88, locked, and rebuilt. I have the knuckles and brakes off a gc for $50 and I'm starting to gather all of the rest of the parts. The knuckles already have the flip welded in as the guy had done it to his gc first which helps. Thanks guys!

Which calipers did you get? The GCs came with two different kinds, and you'll want the Akebono calipers, instead of the Teives. The teives are known for warping rotors.

Last edited:
The Akebono calipers have the name casted on the back of them. Teves have a wire that holds the outer brake pad to the caliper.
I'm pretty sure by 2004 they had switched to Akebono, but don't quote me on that.

This is an Akebono caliper.

This is a Teves

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I will have to check when I get home.. I just got off work and now I'm at the college waiting to take a midterm. Haven't even had a chance to look.. stupid responsibilities! Getting in between me and my jeep! Haha!

Back