• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To dana 60 or not to dana 60.

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 60 and 10.5 out of an 04 f350 and I know it is a sixty. I dont know if I want to build it because I have an xj with 2.5 inches of lift and 35s decent short arms and a dana 44 front, 8.25, and I have 4.56s The only issue I have with the axle is I am eating hubs when I get stupid with the skinny pedal. :dunce: I cant decide weather to build a 8.8 or leave the 8.25 and put the money from taxes into a cage leafs and a rear bumper or to build tons.

Input would be loved.

Frame plate and cage first. It's the smart way to go. I'm sure everyone would agree, even though 90% of builders dont go that route first

I should mention it is played behind the steering box and the mid stiffeners.

I love the setup and the bronco 44 is awesome. The end game is 37s so I'm not sure on that. I also should say I already own the tons.

Learn how to drive, there's no reason you should be breaking hu s all the time on a easy trail

Learn how to drive, there's no reason you should be breaking hu s all the time on a easy trail

I kill hubs off-roading at my friends property. We have been cutting more and more advance trails, and I air down to 6 psi. They tend to go when I get a wheel in the air and stay in it.

If you're not going to change your driving style then you need the tons. The D44 will take some hits on 37s, but won't hold up to what you're describing. Or not for long anyway... you'll keep pushing your weak point down the line until you're breaking the R&P.

BUT, cage first...

If you're not going to change your driving style then you need the tons. The D44 will take some hits on 37s, but won't hold up to what you're describing. Or not for long anyway... you'll keep pushing your weak point down the line until you're breaking the R&P.

BUT, cage first...

Hmm. True enough I think I'll keep the warns premiums as my fuze easy to fix on the trail.

You're breaking the 44. You want bigger tires. You wheel hard and won't change that. What more do you need to know? Answer is right there

You're breaking the 44. You want bigger tires. You wheel hard and won't change that. What more do you need to know? Answer is right there

He dosn't wheel hard, you wheel like a idiot you break stupid shit. Some people don't learn

Robbie I haven't wheeled with naxja ever so how can you say what I do and don't do. Going off a few pictures is kinda hard when your one of the people taking the pictures out of two. Or when you are off wheeling a few tight narrowly cut trails at your friends.

Hubs are an engineered weak link. You should be stoked you are only popping hubs and stock up. End it right there. Id rather pop a hub than a stub. It sounds like your setup is working exactly how its supposed to.

Thanks blondejohn. It does work I will say that. I think it is time for a starter cage kit and some fun to happen! Now do I leave the 8.25 or ditch it for a 8.8 or 12b isuzu?

Id run the 8.25 until you can piece together a 44/8.8 over time, or I guess the 12b isuzu as you mentioned. If you are considering that, then consider the monitor 9.5" rear end or a Xterra 9" rear end. I think both had factory options for 4.56, the Xterras often had LSD and the monteros had air lockers from the factory.

Robbie I haven't wheeled with naxja ever so how can you say what I do and don't do. Going off a few pictures is kinda hard when your one of the people taking the pictures out of two. Or when you are off wheeling a few tight narrowly cut trails at your friends.

hey maybe he was having a rough day... being valentines an all :smootch:

Id run the 8.25 until you can piece together a 44/8.8 over time, or I guess the 12b isuzu as you mentioned. If you are considering that, then consider the monitor 9.5" rear end or a Xterra 9" rear end. I think both had factory options for 4.56, the Xterras often had LSD and the monteros had air lockers from the factory.

Are the 6x5.5?

Are the 6x5.5?

both montero and X are, yes. the H322B (xterra) you want will be open, so you can install a lock right into it. Pretty sure most came with 4.30 ratio. The montero axle is air locked, you'll need the pump and some actuator or something... most of those are 4.60 or something. The lockers only came on SR models.

both montero and X are, yes. the H322B (xterra) you want will be open, so you can install a lock right into it. Pretty sure most came with 4.30 ratio. The montero axle is air locked, you'll need the pump and some actuator or something... most of those are 4.60 or something. The lockers only came on SR models.

Thanks for the info I don't see an issue with 4.56 and 4.6 for offroad use and I think I can steal the pump and all that. I will keep my eye out on the next junkyard trip.

How are the spindles and bearings and everything else?, that axle has been in a few rigs and has been used hard it's whole life, maybe sink some money into it and it'll be fine?!

Back