• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing pinion angle post sye

kenmando

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I’ve searched the sticky’s, etc…I can’t seem to find an entry that covers the entire sye process. By this I mean, not only the mechanical installation of the yoke, etc, but associated adjustment of pinion angle. Are adding shims or relocating spring perches not usually necessary (3.5“ lift/31’s)? Seems like insuring the pinion is 2* below diff output axis is important, but most install guidance ends at sye install. Seems like going from parallel config (pinion axis angle vs. diff output axis angle – conventional ds) to sloping the pinion axis angle to point directly at diff output (cv config) would require a significant adjustment to the rear diff angle. Or is it not that significant. Just want to do it correct the 1st time…

Yes, it is necessary. Search for pinion angle or shims. Basically you hang an angle finder on the driveshaft and the pinion and figure out how much you'll need to adjust the axle to get it right. Because everyone's setup is different, quoting hard numbers is not completely accurate. With a 2.5-3" lift and a 8.25 axle and stock shackles, I needed to rotate up 4 degrees. If you use longer shackles, etc. that will affect the pinion angle.

Last edited:
Back