• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Hanger Heat

paddlernate

NAXJA Forum User
The front exhaust hanger on my Jeep, the one that pokes in next to the tranny mount, gets hot and is cooking the rubber bushing it hangs from. It's releasing noxious fumes and makes driving intolerable. Anyone experienced this and have any shadetree type tips for fixing it?
Alternatively, is there some aftermarket mount/hanger, perhaps made of a different material, that would prevent this?

First things that I think of is an engine running too lean or a blocked catalytic converter.

Well, it's a newish 3" hi-flow cat and a brand new hi-perf muffler. Can't totally rule them out, but I definitely would need to try other things before hanging all new exhaust. The front pipe is a Walker replacement, and i noticed when I put it on that the hanger bar is smaller diameter than OE. Also, when I installed it, it ended up shoved a little farther forward than it was originally, making it just that much closer to the heat source. I think these are the primary causes, and was hoping someone had come up with a clever sleeve or something to isolate the rubber from the metal.

Back