• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Alternator Upgrade

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on doing the 98 Grand Cherokee alternator upgrade since my alternator crapped out on me. I have a 92 Cherokee Limited with 4.0. I have 8000 lb. Mile Marker winch and run 2 100 watt KC lights and a 20 in. LED light bar. I also have a optima yellow top battery. I plan on upgrading all of my cables. My question is do I NEED to upgrade my alternator OR is it just a good idea? I was looking on Rock Auto for the alternator for a 98 Grand Cherokee w/V8 5.9 and there are a half dozen or so 136 amp alternators. Does it matter which one I get? I was looking at the AC Delco since it has a lifetime warranty, but if it doesn't matter, if I upgrade, I might just upgrade the cables and stick with a stock alt.

Thanks,
Chris

I would upgrade the alternator and the battery/alternator cables for sure, especially with a winch. I only have 2 130watt KCs, stock fog lights, and upgraded headlights with 130/90 watt bulbs. With all my lights and high beams on my alternator struggles to keep up. If my electric fan clicks on then the battery voltage gauge starts to hover around 12.5 volts. I do short trips with the Jeep so that probably doesn't help charge the battery any, but I have a bigger alternator waiting to go in when I get the time. I also have upgraded battery cables which seems to help a bit even with the stock alternator.

Upgrade all the mains, get rid of the fusible link and add a big fuse.
I did the 160 Amp Durango alternator.

The bracket needs widened to fit the wider body of the alternator and then after installing the bracket on the block there was a little nub to trim off the block.
Once clearanced to fit it was plug and play.

Back