• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ computer Wizard needed WE ARE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE

diesel-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Good afternoon all, I am finishing up my second diesel conversion. This one is a nice little 2.2l Kubota with a fresh Turbo conversion. For those that want the short version, The conversion is in and I don't have any gauge indications. instrument cluster passes the self test procedure and I have some cluster activity like " Brake" " check gauges" and "air bag" lights, and when I turn on the ignition the oil pressure moves from below 0 to zero, , Oil press may be working a tiny bit, the oil press is a new sender that was not tested prior to conversion.

I would like some help to get my OE gauges Tach and speedo to work.

The back story is a bit longer. The base jeep is a '98 Cherokee SE 6cyl 2wd Automatic, with full gauge cluster, no cruise control. I put the Kubota in it and swapped the broken AW4 for a '94 AX15, with a "99 clutch pedal and slave assy.
I live on the south Texas coast, so there is quite a bit of salt in the air. I have had 3, '98 xj's, and they have all had the same instrument cluster intermittent problem. Some days the instruments work and some days they don't. most of the time you can bang your fist on the dash or the knee kick and the instruments will come back on. Some times the instruments would be out for months and then just start working.
This conversion was no different, but when I pulled the engine for the conversion everything was working. The engine was running fine, only problem was a bad tranny with metal and bearings in the pan.
OK so the Kubota is in and running. I have the '94 AX15 with speed sensor hooked up. I think '98 crank sensor is installed . It has a hybrid accessory drive half serpentine and half v-belt. The alternator is a Hitachi from a NPR truck, so I could bet a alt/vac pump combo and have one less accessory to mount. Alternator is internally regulated and working, and wired up independently. It is turning a bit slow, but it is charging.
There is another jeep converter fellow up in WA state who has been able to get his gauges to work in a wrangler. So I know it can be done. I am in contact with the WA state fellow and we have pretty much exhausted our ideas.
So far I have a working Crank sensor that is putting out 0-5-0 volts when the engine is turned by hand, This sensor had perhaps preliminarily failed the Haynes manual crank position resistance test. But it passes the the 0-5-0 voltage test. I simulated a Cam signal by jumping the cam signal out sensor harness side to the Crank sensor signal out harness side. I have I think 6 ground wires hooked up, one from the new alternator, one braid from the fire wall to the block, 2 that came off near the coil, and 2 more I don't remember where they came from . The OE throttle body is hooked up to all its sensors and is dangling in the engine bay, OE Temp, and OE oil press are hooked up. Temp has been removed from the block for testing
On the dangling side, I have the OE jeep alternator harness, the AW4 harness connectors, and the coil, not hooked up to anything.

oh and PS just today I made a moderate attempt to hook all the wiring up as it was before the conversion , still no gauges.

So if anyone is pretty intimate with the '98 PCM and gauges I am very interested to hear about instruments. Or if anyone knows a Jeep electronics guy that is within 200 miles of South Texas I am interested in that contact as well.

Good afternoon all, I am finishing up my second diesel conversion. This one is a nice little 2.2l Kubota with a fresh Turbo conversion. For those that want the short version, The conversion is in and I don't have any gauge indications. instrument cluster passes the self test procedure and I have some cluster activity like " Brake" " check gauges" and "air bag" lights, and when I turn on the ignition the oil pressure moves from below 0 to zero, , Oil press may be working a tiny bit, the oil press is a new sender that was not tested prior to conversion.

I would like some help to get my OE gauges Tach and speedo to work.

The back story is a bit longer. The base jeep is a '98 Cherokee SE 6cyl 2wd Automatic, with full gauge cluster, no cruise control. I put the Kubota in it and swapped the broken AW4 for a '94 AX15, with a "99 clutch pedal and slave assy.
I live on the south Texas coast, so there is quite a bit of salt in the air. I have had 3, '98 xj's, and they have all had the same instrument cluster intermittent problem. Some days the instruments work and some days they don't. most of the time you can bang your fist on the dash or the knee kick and the instruments will come back on. Some times the instruments would be out for months and then just start working.
This conversion was no different, but when I pulled the engine for the conversion everything was working. The engine was running fine, only problem was a bad tranny with metal and bearings in the pan.
OK so the Kubota is in and running. I have the '94 AX15 with speed sensor hooked up. I think '98 crank sensor is installed . It has a hybrid accessory drive half serpentine and half v-belt. The alternator is a Hitachi from a NPR truck, so I could bet a alt/vac pump combo and have one less accessory to mount. Alternator is internally regulated and working, and wired up independently. It is turning a bit slow, but it is charging.
There is another jeep converter fellow up in WA state who has been able to get his gauges to work in a wrangler. So I know it can be done. I am in contact with the WA state fellow and we have pretty much exhausted our ideas.
So far I have a working Crank sensor that is putting out 0-5-0 volts when the engine is turned by hand, This sensor had perhaps preliminarily failed the Haynes manual crank position resistance test. But it passes the the 0-5-0 voltage test. I simulated a Cam signal by jumping the cam signal out sensor harness side to the Crank sensor signal out harness side. I have I think 6 ground wires hooked up, one from the new alternator, one braid from the fire wall to the block, 2 that came off near the coil, and 2 more I don't remember where they came from . The OE throttle body is hooked up to all its sensors and is dangling in the engine bay, OE Temp, and OE oil press are hooked up. Temp has been removed from the block for testing
On the dangling side, I have the OE jeep alternator harness, the AW4 harness connectors, and the coil, not hooked up to anything.

oh and PS just today I made a moderate attempt to hook all the wiring up as it was before the conversion , still no gauges.

So if anyone is pretty intimate with the '98 PCM and gauges I am very interested to hear about instruments. Or if anyone knows a Jeep electronics guy that is within 200 miles of South Texas I am interested in that contact as well.

PM sidewaysstarion!

I have spent the past 2 days going thru online FSM's and looking for info about the instruments. The manuals seem very complete, but they all refer to a " Powertrain Diagnostics procedures manual" has anyone ever seen or has access to this manual.
it seems there has got to be a PCM Guru out there somewhere

Thanks everyone . I found a transmission?? connection that was still installed but not connected. that got everything but the tachometer to work,
that is a big relief, I can get by without the OE tach, I have a " TinyTach " installed already. They work great.
But I still want the OE tacho to work. Any body have any thoughts on that??
I still have the crank and cam signal out wires jumped together, as there is not cam sender installed

tachometer is working along with all the rest of the gauges. if anyone has a similar situation, I needed both Crank position and cam position signals. jumping the cam to the crank did not work for me.
I ended up making a custom tone ring and modified the cam sensor it all fits on the new water pump pulley

Thanks to
13:04 sidewaysstarion , and FlexdXJ for your help

Back