• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ WONT MOVE FORWARD?? EBRAKE ??

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! Recently, I was parked at the grocery store and when I returned to leave, I couldn't drive forward?? Almost like the ebrake was cranked on. My ebrake has always been very weak as it is. I could drive in reverse no problems. It felt like I was towing a huge load? I pulled the front tires yesterday to look at the front calipers as I have suspected that they were sticking, the inside pads were wore almost all the way, I installed new pads and greased the pins etc...So, I took care of that. Last night, I went to the store, came out to leave and same issue!!??? I had to reverse out of the parking spot and finally I could drive forward enough to get her home?? Any help/ideas are appreciated. Thank again!

Have you rebuilt your rear brakes lately. If you swap the leading and trailing shoes, you can get a similar effect.

Have you jacked up the four wheels while in the locked condition to see which ones won't rotate? And then looked to find out why?

What is age/condition of the brake flex lines?

General history of brake maintenance?

Just pulled the rear tires, rear shoes look horrible. I will soak the parts and replace the shoes. Brake lines "look" ok. I haven't jacked up the four wheels when this happens yet.

Back